All Eurorack Chaos modules

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

All Eurorack Chaos modules

Post by EarlJemmings »

I'm always forgetting just what there is out there in terms of Modules which are designed to create Chaotic systems.
So, I'll keep this thread/ modulargrid rack up to date with all the ones I know of, and it'll be here for everyone's future reference.

If I've missed any, or something is fresh off the press- post about it here!

Better updated rack here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1347668

Old not updated rack here:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/218703

NOTES
***MI Streams is included due to its bonus hidden mode of a sub-audio rate Lorenz attractor
Ornaments + Crimes has firmware- Low-rents: dual Lorenz and Rössler generators (strange attractors)
Xaoc Batumi added for part of its alternate firmware- Random wave bank. Verhulst’s logistic map, with lower jumper selected on module.***

Chaos acts like this:

And looks like this:

Ian Fritz description of chaos in audio circuits
Snazzy FX Dreamboat manual
Last edited by EarlJemmings on Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 12 times in total.
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

I included Threeler despite it not necessarily being chaotic- but that it has chaotic tendencies from my understanding. If I'm off base on that, please correct me.
Fourses as well I'm not 100% on, but it seems to be close.
thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky »

It's not clear if Fourses produces true mathematical chaos. Threeler does.

NLC also has the Hyper Wien.
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

thermionicjunky wrote:It's not clear if Fourses produces true mathematical chaos. Threeler does.

NLC also has the Hyper Wien.
Thanks, missed the Hyper Wein, never really noticed that one before. Really interesting.
I'll take off Fourses for now- if anyone has confirmation of it generating chaos, or has epecially strong feelings about it, I'll add it back on.
numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 »

It's also possible to patch a chaotic circuit with non-chaos-generator modules and feedback loops (so really just about any combination of filters, mixers and vcas should be able to get you in the ballpark). Even then, though, it is nice to have a dedicated chaos generator as a reference for comparing your home-brewed chaotic results.

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Why isn't Noise Swash in there?
*phnert*
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

numan7 wrote:It's also possible to patch a chaotic circuit with non-chaos-generator modules and feedback loops (so really just about any combination of filters, mixers and vcas should be able to get you in the ballpark). Even then, though, it is nice to have a dedicated chaos generator as a reference for comparing your home-brewed chaotic results.

cheers
Truth!
Dedicated modules certainly aren't the only way to it, but it is more space and resource effective.

This might also be a good place to post info and how-tos regarding chaos- I believe Ian Fritz had a good article on it on his website, but that seems to be down
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

Pighood wrote:Why isn't Noise Swash in there?
I love my Noise swash, and it does sometimes behave like something chaotic- but it's not truly
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

Wogglebug?
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

Hmmmm...
What about pseudorandom modules that accept a reseed input? Like the Zorlon Cannon self-patched?
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood »

Zymos wrote:Wogglebug?
Or indeed Noisering
*phnert*
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

Is that unlabeled NLC panel at the left a Hyper Wien? I see you already have the other NLC chaos bits in there.

I would add more Sloths, also. At least the Sloth and Super Sloth builds, and maybe Stasis Sloth if you like really, really slowly evolving patches
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
ToneBub
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ToneBub »

The old traditional Noise sources and S&H are both old school ways to produce random/chaotic effects/sounds/modulations. Not fancy, but they still work...

In the Make Noise world, [in addition to the Wogglebug, already mentioned] you can crank up the Erbe Verb, Echophon, or Phonogene to unhealthy levels and produce plenty of chaos on any signal routed therein. In theory, any reverb or delay module set with enough feedback can produce similar chaotic results.

Using one oscillator to FM another at extreme enough levels can produce quite unpredictable effects.

Some filters get pretty extreme, even beyond self-oscillation... the Wasp for example at certain levels will produce some freakily-cool unpredictable oscillations. And there are others.
David
warnton
Wiggling with Experience

Post by warnton »

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

Actually yes S&H noise + slew is a great way to get some wobbly-but-clocked chaos. Pittsburgh Modular's Toolbox is a good, cheap starting point for this
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

i've got a chaotica in the post for more than a month now, i really hope it arrives if not i will probably try one of th nlc ones...
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

btw i believe th logistic map as well as the henon map are not exactly chaotic...
MacSynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MacSynth »

How about the Turing Machine, Doepfer A-149, ERD/gamma. NLC sloth?

The Benjolin also comes to mind.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Trogotronic "oscillators"...maybe

Dwarfcraft Yep
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

EarlJemmings wrote: I believe Ian Fritz had a good article on it on his website, but that seems to be down
Website moved due to Comcast dropping free hosting.

Ian
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

peripatitis wrote:btw i believe th logistic map as well as the henon map are not exactly chaotic...
Where do you get that? Both are standard textbook examples of chaotic systems.

Ian
frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz »

ToneBub wrote:The old traditional Noise sources and S&H are both old school ways to produce random/chaotic effects/sounds/modulations. Not fancy, but they still work...
Random and chaotic are two different things. Noise + S/H is random, not chaotic.

Ian
DanJGW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DanJGW »

I miss the chaos I had with the Snazzy FX Dreamboat but 90% of the time I was having to manually coax it back to the sweet spot and mostly it was kind of on or off. The chaos was a little to quick for me but I loved the concept. Maybe theres another cheaper option out of these that someone could recommend.
DanJGW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DanJGW »

There's another by ADDAC (which I haven't used) but looks really cool, Marble Physics
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

As Ian has said, there is a difference between random and chaotic- chaos being an actual mathematical term. Unfortunately it is also used as a descriptive term for wild and random.
I love my wild and random with your SoU clones and wonderful feedback devices, but this is about the mathematical kind of chaos. I'll have to put something regarding this in the OP when I'm on my desktop.
Last edited by EarlJemmings on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”