Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am

s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am
James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am
What do you want to use the Data for? If you want a comprehensive tool within your Euro case, fine. If you just want an easy visualization for the sounds you may be creating, for example, seeing how that wavefolder is folding your wave, get a Zeroscope (in either 1U and 3U formats) and have money left over for a delay or reverb.
Exactly, more than anything to be able to visualise that my modification sources are doing exactly, as well as having an on board tuner. If I can use it for calibration duties, even better!!!
Right, so how important is the visualization vs. getting more modules in your rack that actually affect the sound? A Zeroscope is less than half the price of the Data, leaving, as noted, more cash available for other stuff as well.

This also brings up the interesting question of whether it's more useful to learn about modular/sound design/etc. by listening to the sounds generated or watching them? There are people who will turn off their DAW monitor screens when mixing, for example, to avoid the distraction of the colorful waveforms scrolling by.

From my personal perspective, I like a bit of visual feedback, but not to the extent of wanting to devote the cash and HP towards a Data. I have a Zeroscope. YMMV. Best of luck!
You're totally right man. Data or Zeroscope + Imitor Versio.

Not really a question is it? I see Zeroscope has a tuner too. Thanks a lot for your input!!!

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:09 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am

Not really a question is it? I see Zeroscope has a tuner too. Thanks a lot for your input!!!
The only caveat I'd make is that the Zeroscope tuner is not great unless you're feeding it a clean easy-to-tune waveform.

If I'm doing melodic stuff that I need to track well across octaves, I'll use my Expert Sleepers FH-2's auto calibration. Otherwise I'll tune what I can with the Zeroscope and do the rest by ear.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:21 am

s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:09 am
James_S wrote:

The only caveat I'd make is that the Zeroscope tuner is not great unless you're feeding it a clean easy-to-tune waveform.

If I'm doing melodic stuff that I need to track well across octaves, I'll use my Expert Sleepers FH-2's auto calibration. Otherwise I'll tune what I can with the Zeroscope and do the rest by ear.
Ah okay. I often use my DAW for tuning prior to recording but it had problems with stuff like rings and elements; possibly due to harmonics and what not... I asked the question in this thread if Data was any better with these modules and nobody answered me so I don't know if it would even be any improvement on the DAW. Either way I tend to tune them by ear using my piano in any case.

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm

I know the Data is a bit of real-estate and might seem a bit pricy, but I just took delivery of an ADDAC 506+Expander this week and all four channels of the oscilloscope are working overtime for me to get a grip on what the 506 is doing. So many outputs on the 506+Expander that having a Data helps sort through all those stochastic processes in a simultaneous fashion.

Of course I'm a Data fan boy, but It's really helped me understand what I'm hearing in a visual domain.

I find it to be a good 16HP investment and would recommend it in a heartbeat.
Last edited by DukeOfPrunes on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plragde
Common Wiggler

Post by plragde » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 pm

I have a 104hp standalone skiff I'm working with, and Data doesn't fit. But I keep missing it, and powering up the larger case to use it.

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:31 pm

plragde wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 pm
I have a 104hp standalone skiff I'm working with, and Data doesn't fit. But I keep missing it, and powering up the larger case to use it.
I hear you brother. I haven't used it for Oscilloscope duties in a while, but this week, it's been invaluable.

For example, the min/max Rise/Fall time knobs on the ADDAC 506 take a bit of time to get used to and I've had to use the Oscilloscope and Voltage Monitor programs to see the voltages generated in various min/max rise fall states. It's accelerated my integration of these two modules.

I know I go on and on about the Data, but it's one of the most solid and robust piece of gear that I've ever owned.

So let the GAS continue...

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:53 am

James_S wrote:
s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am
James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am
What do you want to use the Data for? If you want a comprehensive tool within your Euro case, fine. If you just want an easy visualization for the sounds you may be creating, for example, seeing how that wavefolder is folding your wave, get a Zeroscope (in either 1U and 3U formats) and have money left over for a delay or reverb.
Exactly, more than anything to be able to visualise that my modification sources are doing exactly, as well as having an on board tuner. If I can use it for calibration duties, even better!!!
Right, so how important is the visualization vs. getting more modules in your rack that actually affect the sound? A Zeroscope is less than half the price of the Data, leaving, as noted, more cash available for other stuff as well.

This also brings up the interesting question of whether it's more useful to learn about modular/sound design/etc. by listening to the sounds generated or watching them? There are people who will turn off their DAW monitor screens when mixing, for example, to avoid the distraction of the colorful waveforms scrolling by.

From my personal perspective, I like a bit of visual feedback, but not to the extent of wanting to devote the cash and HP towards a Data. I have a Zeroscope. YMMV. Best of luck!

For me in a sense that I get the Data is big there but there is something to be said about the value it can bring when you are not using it as a tool. The thing is that the Data shines as a 4 channel Oscilloscope or tuner. But there are times that you don't need an Oscilloscope or a Tuner. And during those times, the Data can be an extremely capable 2 voice FM oscillator/lfo with a built in VCA. It can also be a 4 channel clock divider/mult.

Point being is that it's never redundant. You can use it for what you primarily bought it for, but when you don't need that use, then it can serve to replace and still be useful in most situations.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:31 pm
plragde wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 pm
I hear you brother. I haven't used it for Oscilloscope duties in a while, but this week, it's been invaluable.

For example, the min/max Rise/Fall time knobs on the ADDAC 506 take a bit of time to get used to and I've had to use the Oscilloscope and Voltage Monitor programs to see the voltages generated in various min/max rise fall states. It's accelerated my integration of these two modules.

I know I go on and on about the Data, but it's one of the most solid and robust piece of gear that I've ever owned.

So let the GAS continue...
It's funny you mention the ADDAC 506 cos I have one with the expansion module coming in the next couple weeks and it's been the main driver in making me want to get the DATA. However, there's another part of me that thinks "€500 just to get the most out of a module that's already cost me €500 with the expander".

With the zeroscope I could monitor 2 channels at a time, but for less than half the price, and granted on a smaller screen. It also saves precious HP and allows me to get a "more fun" module. But then I can definitely see the reasoning behind the DATA as I'm sure it would speed up my understanding of what's going on with the 506.

I'm wavering between the two, but feel heavily seduced by the concept of getting myself a delay now the previous posters pointed me in that direction.

As a man who considers myself mature, pretty bright and decisive modular constantly turns me into a stupid, flippy-floppy child.

Oh the fun...

Phitar
Constantly Learning

Post by Phitar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:15 am

James_S wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 am

As a man who considers myself mature, pretty bright and decisive modular constantly turns me into a stupid, flippy-floppy child.
Amen Brother James! Feel your pain.

I was on the fence once myself with the Data. I've got a Rigol scope that I've had longer than any modular gear and convinced myself that it would be everything I would ever need a Data for and at 0 HP to boot. Wrong! The rigol just turned into too much of a PITA to get set up and provided less functionality to boot. When I moved recently my DIY work bench had to be located across the room from the eurorack so that pushed me off that fence. But the Rigol had also shown me the benefits of having something that could be used for accurate real time measurements with a screen large enough to view minor differences between signals. Zeroscope just wouldn't fill those requirements for me, but the Data does. So I bit the bullet and got Data. No regrets so far!
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/phitar

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:28 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 am
You don't think as a relative beginner having the data to show me what's going on with modulations etc would be useful?
Thank you for asking this!
No, I think far too many beginners are suffering from a need to 'see' instead of using their ears.

But more central to this exact question in this thread, I think you'd be *far* better off using one of the *many* alternatives to DATA for visualization and instead put your money towards actual* modules. Since you mentioned delay vs reverb, I'm suggesting that a delay will be more useful in that choice. And I believe in the end you'll be a better synthesist if you stave off this need to see, in favor of ear training.

How many different oscope style visualization tools can you get for a *free* download? One reply above mentioned zeroscope as a hardware visualization tool that takes less space and costs significantly less.

Getting back to my main point, do you want to train your eyes? Or your ears?
Do you actually *need* to see the modulations to use them effectively? I've mentioned quite a few times how plugging a voltage into a VCO acts as an audio voltmeter. A scope is a two axis visual voltmeter. You can hear in the VCO what the modulations are doing. If you can't tell from that audio investigation, does it matter?

*It's not lost on me that DATA *is* a versatile module with much more on offer than just visualizations. It's also pretty expensive and uses up a fair bit of room in a beginner's case. Please understand I'm not saying DATA is a bad choice. But I AM saying that it -and others like it- have become potentially un-needed 'crutches' or training wheels which lead to a type of visual-'statistical' dependency that going without can cure. Another way to see it is that too many are already disposed to a 'screen-based' solution to their problems due to the conditioning of growing up in a digital-computer everything-has-a-screen world.

Think about the music -or other synth output- that inspires you, or inspired you to go modular in the first place. Was that made by people using scopes to 'understand' their tools? Or not?

It's also not lost on me how nice it is to see waveforms dancing on a screen. Love me some lissajous!<--Since the late 60s even. But in this case, at this time, I still think you'll ultimately get-go farther by putting off purchasing the DATA and using that money in other ways. Especially since you can *easily* get free visualization tools if the *real* need is for visualization of modulations.

Edit, added after reading more of your replies below this post i've responded to. Specifically the speed in understanding:
Is speed always a good goal? For understanding?
What is so wrong about about needing to figure it out? Taking the time to do so. Having some unanswered questions, some un-named seen things.

For a long time in the synth worlkd there was a discussion about the accuracy -or not- of osc WFs. Some saying that having perfectly accurate WFs meant you could introduce 'errors' and inconsistencies to duplicate what the 'lesser' WFs -like a moog 901, or a 2600's sine wave- were already putting out. Eyes were over-ruling ears. Eyes give a 'name' to something that the ears don't need to care about. You can easily find yourself trying to create a picture instead of a sound. Bercause we're existentially wired to place emphasis on what we see over what we hear.
And now with granular, FM ,TZ, and swarm-osc and wavebank oscs everywhere, it's even more important to L.I.S.T.E.N. than to see.

Have you ever tried to UN-see something? How successful were you? Don't stack the deck against yourself by seeing before you hear. By giving pictures to sounds instead of the other way round. Get a delay. ;)
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 am

KSS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:28 am
Have you ever tried to UN-see something? How successful were you? Don't stack the deck against yourself by seeing before you hear. By giving pictures to sounds instead of the other way round. Get a delay. ;)
Thank you for the long reply.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. To give you some context I've been producing and composing for a long time as well as being a touring musician. However, I was always working with DAWs, various synths and other instruments (I'm lucky enough to be able to play a few) so I think my main frustration is not having the same knowledge of CV, function generators of the like as I do of those things so I'm looking for a fast way of getting that knowledge up to the same standard as my other knowledge asap. It's obviously an absurd concept as the other knowledge took years and years to build and, as someone who teaches, if I were listening to myself I'd be giving very logical advice about patience and process, much like you're doing.

On the other side all people learn in different ways, and some people learning something audio based such as music benefit greatly from visual leaning methods (the old audio, visual, kinaesthetic learner stuff) so everyone will be different in terms what process helps them master something. The DATA and it's visual aids might help someone's ear no end by connecting the sounds with a visual prompt that just makes something click in the brain. I know it sounds weird but I've seen it with students and experienced it myself.

The variety of replies have been great and very insightful, and the exact reason why I signed up here upon starting my modular journey.

Oh, and I just ordered the Mimeophon ;) thanks again!!!

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 am

James_S wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 am
KSS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:28 am
Thank you for the long reply.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. To give you some context I've been producing and composing for a long time as well as being a touring musician. However, I was always working with DAWs, various synths and other instruments (I'm lucky enough to be able to play a few) so I think my main frustration is not having the same knowledge of CV, function generators of the like as I do of those things so I'm looking for a fast way of getting that knowledge up to the same standard as my other knowledge asap. It's obviously an absurd concept as the other knowledge took years and years to build and, as someone who teaches, if I were listening to myself I'd be giving very logical advice about patience and process, much like you're doing.

On the other side all people learn in different ways, and some people learning something audio based such as music benefit greatly from visual leaning methods (the old audio, visual, kinaesthetic learner stuff) so everyone will be different in terms what process helps them master something. The DATA and it's visual aids might help someone's ear no end by connecting the sounds with a visual prompt that just makes something click in the brain. I know it sounds weird but I've seen it with students and experienced it myself.

The variety of replies have been great and very insightful, and the exact reason why I signed up here upon starting my modular journey.

Oh, and I just ordered the Mimeophon ;) thanks again!!!
You will enjoy the Mimeophon immensely!

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote: You will enjoy the Mimeophon immensely!
Yes mate I'm super excited. I already have the Erbe Verb and I love bonkers Verbs/ Delays so I reckon I'm in for a treat! Now to spend all afternoon watching videos to wet my appetite! Thanks for your contributions to my questions, it's been super helpful!
Last edited by James_S on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 am

James_S wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 am
Yes mate I'm super excited. I already have the Erbe Verb and I love bonkers Verbs/ Delays so I reckon I'm in for a treat! Now to spend all afternoon watching videos to wet my appetite! Thanks for your contributions to my questions, it's been super helpful!

Anytime. Once you get the 506, let us know how you’re getting along with it. I’m still trying to determine if it’s buggy or not!
Last edited by DukeOfPrunes on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 am
James_S wrote:
[quote=DukeOfPrunes post_id=3650260 time=1637844532 !

Anytime. Once you get the 506, let us know how you’re getting along with it. I’m still trying to determine if it’s buggy or not!
[/quote]

Don't say that! What brings you to that conclusion? I read that one of the earlier problems was that in "loop" mode it didn't actually loop and the LFOs were still evolving but when I asked ADDAC about this they assured me it was a hardware issue that has been fixed.

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm

James_S wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
James_S wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:

Don't say that! What brings you to that conclusion? I read that one of the earlier problems was that in "loop" mode it didn't actually loop and the LFOs were still evolving but when I asked ADDAC about this they assured me it was a hardware issue that has been fixed.
One Anomaly I've noticed has to do with the Lock/Unlock switch. When using the RND1 Out on the expander, I have Channel 1 in Loop mode and if I flip the switch from Unlock to Lock, the stepped modulation outputted from RND1 Out flat lines intermittently on flipping the switch multiple times. Either flat lines, diminishes in amplitude materially or behaves according to my expectation, i.e. no change in modulation. I don't understand this behavior!

And I will admit that the Data was helpful for me to identify this unexpected behavior, but I am a noob and I need all the help I can get...

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm
James_S wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
James_S wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:

One Anomaly I've noticed has to do with the Lock/Unlock switch. When using the RND1 Out on the expander, I have Channel 1 in Loop mode and if I flip the switch from Unlock to Lock, the stepped modulation outputted from RND1 Out flat lines intermittently on flipping the switch multiple times. Either flat lines, diminishes in amplitude materially or behaves according to my expectation, i.e. no change in modulation. I don't understand this behavior!

And I will admit that the Data was helpful for me to identify this unexpected behavior, but I am a noob and I need all the help I can get...
Hmmmm. Have you written to them? The customer service has been great in my experience.

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:39 pm

James_S wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm
James_S wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
James_S wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:

Hmmmm. Have you written to them? The customer service has been great in my experience.
Not yet, I just want to make sure that I have a list of all the anomalies I've noticed with the 506 as well as with the 112. We will all get there in the end! Those folks at ADDAC are serious dudes and don't mess around when it comes to ingenuity!

But man, that 506 will be godsend for that Mimeophon of yours, you'll see...
Last edited by DukeOfPrunes on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Sorry, no time to read the manual, I thought I’d ask here instead. Is it possible to have both the clock output and the oscilloscope running at the same time?

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm

No.

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:18 pm

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm
No.
Ah, thought so. Thanks for quick answer. :tu:

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 pm

I finally took the time to read the manual, it’s a surprising module. Clock divisions, oscillators with clipping/folding options. :love:
It has already helped me diagnose some issues I had with a module.
I’ve noticed, unlike the clock, the DC outputs stay when going back to the oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer. That’s going to be really useful. :tu:

FletchNYC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by FletchNYC » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:35 pm

How is the tuner on Data? Is it only accurate with the most simple sine waves?

plragde
Common Wiggler

Post by plragde » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:07 pm

It's fine for sine, square, pulse, triangle, saw. It will get confused if you put in something too complex, wavefolded for example. FM is out, of course. It pretty much acts as you might expect: reasonably well, but it can't do miracles. I like using it.

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:26 pm

I find the tuner very reactive, maybe a little too reactive? I didn’t find a way to slow it down and average the values over time, maybe there is one. But having the info in large characters is really great compared to my tiny Zeroscope screen. There’s a good definition and that seems to make the job a lot easier.
I only tested with a triangle shape though, as I wouldn’t trust a tuner too much for complex shapes anyway.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”