Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by BaloErets » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:54 pm

bfessler wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm
Sleepfc wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 am
1n wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am
a question about Data - definitely my last eurorack module :-)

Not that the following puts me off buying...

I saw a video mentioning a firmware update with a 32-step sequencer, but latest manual contains nothing about this feature. Is this update pending?
It’s been in the works forever, but honestly I haven’t even thought about it. Data does enough as is!
Thanks Sleepfc! The DATA does do many things :mrgreen:

I agree though, it has been a long ass time on the sequencer. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to dev soon, almost done now with my multi-year backlog of tedious admin things...
If ever a firmware update becomes a reality in the future, I do have a humble request.

I don't know if it has come up before, but would really be cool in the wave output mode that outputs 3 and 4 are copies of 1 and 2. This mode kinda begs to have one of the outputs being used to FM the other, especially with the built-in VCAs. That could really open it up as 2 Osc FM voice with cross-modulation.

Sugarwolf
Common Wiggler

Post by Sugarwolf » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:20 am

I hope a future firmware update includes a screen saver or sleep feature for when I'm not using mine.

Mr. Aloud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Aloud » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:00 am

I´d like to compare the mordax data to outboard oscilloscopes, but couldn´t find any specs regarding bandwidth, sample rate, memory depch, capture rate etc.

I probably just missed the right link on their website, can anyone point me to the right resources (next stop: I´ll email them).
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

don
Learning to Wiggle

Post by don » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:20 pm

got mine earlier this year and while i dont use it often, its a godsend when i need to identify what im hearing--great value for 400 bones.........

vizor81
Common Wiggler

Post by vizor81 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Love my Mordax Data!

Wondering if in TUNER program the „NOTE DIF:“ would also be reasonable to show relative difference [%] in addition to absolute difference [Hz].
Might be more useful at higher octaves.

Also, is there a possibility to run the CLOCK OUTPUT in the background while using OSCILLOSCOPE or TUNER programs?

Thanks for the firmware and feature upgrades. Looking forward to upcoming news.

fastlanestranger
Common Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Sugarwolf wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:20 am
I hope a future firmware update includes a screen saver or sleep feature for when I'm not using mine.
This would be quite nice.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:11 pm

fastlanestranger wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:57 pm
Sugarwolf wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:20 am
This would be quite nice.
That would be cool. Or heck, even some visuals that react to the inputs.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T Minilogue XD/Push 2:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=255901

dnm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dnm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 am

Random request: anyone have a copy of DS010202.bin they could put somewhere that I could fetch with a plain HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP GET request? I've been trying to download the firmware from http://mordax.link/DATA_SYS_Firmware, but I keep getting either JS (when trying to download it with wget) or sent to a Google Account login screen, even when trying across several different browsers and systems, including incognito modes (to mitigate cookie issues).

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 pm

dnm wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 am
Random request: anyone have a copy of DS010202.bin they could put somewhere that I could fetch with a plain HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP GET request? I've been trying to download the firmware from http://mordax.link/DATA_SYS_Firmware, but I keep getting either JS (when trying to download it with wget) or sent to a Google Account login screen, even when trying across several different browsers and systems, including incognito modes (to mitigate cookie issues).
Yea I gotchya. Check your PM.

Still hopefully bfessler or someone else from Mordax will see this and check their links. Sometimes updates goof things up.
We were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away.
Rem Koolhaas

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:07 am

Keen on a screen saver or sleep mode too.
Just ordered one of these. Might displace my o’tool I’m thinking. Hopefully permanently

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm

drxcm wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:07 am
Just ordered one of these. Might displace my o’tool I’m thinking. Hopefully permanently
Yes an option for a screen sleep w/ no activity after (x) time would be good. I don't always have ins/outs plugged on DATA but its on with the main case power. A screen saver would be a cherry on top, but the whole device is kind of a screen saver as long as you have it plugged in ;) Not the highest priority, but would be appreciated.

Why do you want to replace o'tool permanently? Space? I have a friend who wants an oscilloscope but is looking at the O'Tool+ purely because of conserving hp. Since I don't personally know anyone who has an O'Tool I've read all the thread debates and at the end of the day they both seem to be good choices, for slightly different reasons.

Is there anything on the O'Tool you wish were implemented on the DATA?

There are a few other features I find myself wishing it had. I don't recall all of them but main one, and is probably difficult to implement, would be fixed waveform outputs. Just like the fixed voltage outputs that let you set a voltage then switch to Oscilloscope, Spectral, etc.. So you'd effectively double its utility and let it be an oscilloscope and oscillator at the same time.
Rem Koolhaas

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:18 pm

DreamFangs wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm
I actually contacted MORDAX about that a while back. the O'Toole+ has some nice, pretty modes that the DATA lacks. I asked if a firmware update was in the works and if it could include some of the O'Toole+'s pretty hotness. Apparently it is being considered and a firmware update is in the works, but what it'll include and when it'll be available ... no idea. So, at this point, I'd say it is important to only buy DATA for what it does now. If that is good enough (and it does a crapton), then DATA should be fineu. It is a great module for sure. While I miss some of the pretty stuff in the O'Tool+, I'm glad I switched to the DATA. The larger screen and more inputs makes it an even more useful tool. If space is a problem though .. even the vpme.de ZeroScope works fine in a pinch. I think even the O_c has a scope in Hemispheres?
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:18 pm
I actually contacted MORDAX about that a while back. the O'Toole+ has some nice, pretty modes that the DATA lacks. I asked if a
firmware update was in the works and if it could include some of the O'Toole+'s pretty hotness. Apparently it is being considered and
Pretty is good, but its whats inside that matters most. 8-)
Although no one said you can't have both, especially when it comes to design and engineering.
Naenyn wrote:
a firmware update is in the works, but what it'll include and when it'll be available ... no idea. So, at this point, I'd say it is important to only buy DATA for what it does now. If that is good enough (and it does a crapton), then DATA should be fineu. It is a great module
Its cool, they can take their time. I kind of appreciate that they aren't dribbling lots of little updates, but seem to be doing big ones instead. As long as they're taking notes? Maybe we could set up a vote or something on here to" help" them figure out what we'd prefer in terms of features? Not sure how that kind of thing works around here.
Naenyn wrote:
for sure. While I miss some of the pretty stuff in the O'Tool+, I'm glad I switched to the DATA. The larger screen and more inputs makes it an even more useful tool. If space is a problem though .. even the vpme.de ZeroScope works fine in a pinch. I think even the O_c has a scope in Hemispheres?
These are exactly the reasons I decided to go with DATA when I was looking into all the options. I did look at all the options. From standard external scopes with BNC connectors, several DIY and prebuilt kits, and some of the few others out there. It was quickly narrowed down to those two however.

And for me it was totally from getting a taste of O_c in Hemispheres that made me realize how useful scopes are. Being able to see CV functions and envelopes really accelerated my understanding.
Rem Koolhaas

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:30 pm

DreamFangs wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm
drxcm wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:07 am
Why do you want to replace o'tool permanently? Space? I have a friend who wants an oscilloscope but is looking at the O'Tool+ purely because of conserving hp.

“Hopefully permanently” means I won’t need the O’tool anymore. I don’t need two oscilloscopes.

The main reason for Mordax is the larger screen and 4 channels. Having said that O’tool and it’s successor have been with me since their inception and have been incredible. I do love how small the O’tool is but I am now in a position where I have the space for a larger screen.

I haven’t really looked deeply into functionality of it compared with O’Tool. I do frequently use the tuner and voltage meter functions on O’tool. I presume I can get similar stuff on Data.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm

I sold my O'tool when I moved to Data but one thing I miss is it had that XY view that was really nice for plotting chaos circuits.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 pm

scragz wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm
I sold my O'tool when I moved to Data but one thing I miss is it had that XY view that was really nice for plotting chaos circuits.
This. The fade time really made it nicer to visualize the patterns. Would love to see this added to the DATA.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T Minilogue XD/Push 2:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=255901

bfessler
Common Wiggler

Post by bfessler » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:50 pm

exper wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 pm
scragz wrote:
This. The fade time really made it nicer to visualize the patterns. Would love to see this added to the DATA.
MX DATA User Guide - XY Scope pg 18.jpg
scragz - The DATA does have an XY Scope function, it was added in the DATA's very first firmware update. Check out the DATA User Guide starting on page 18 to learn about this feature. http://mordax.link/DATA_User_Guide
:tu:

exper - Fade time/persistence for scope traces is something I also like, it's on the list of things to implement.
MORDAX - Modular Synthesis Systems

www.mordax.net

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Hot tip! Thanks

morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 pm

Ohhhh, this is a reminder to go back and reread the manual every once in a while. This is a well hidden feature. It would be nice if in a future firmware update the features hidden behind the long press would appear somewhere more obvious in the menus.

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Reading and the manual is always good. I'm always working my way through several at any one time. The XY scope doesn't pop out by natural exploration of the UI, so in that respect it's "hidden." Is the long press for a function like that used anywhere else?
It's a nicely put together manual and even has Futurama memes.

I see this exact situation play out every few pages in this thread and other threads about DATA v O'Tool. So even if you're not looking in the manual, just skim some of the thread and you'll pick up a bunch of tips. I'm also kind of surprised cause people using the XY on DATA is all over Youtube. Granted, none of them are walk throughs on how to do it though.
Rem Koolhaas

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm

Random thought. I was just looking to see what firmware updates they’ve released and noticed that one of them added a wave folder to the wave out. I had no idea.
Last edited by Naenyn on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:40 am

Fade time / persistence for XY would be great!!

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:30 am

bfessler wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:50 pm
exper wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 pm
scragz wrote:
MX DATA User Guide - XY Scope pg 18.jpg

scragz - The DATA does have an XY Scope function, it was added in the DATA's very first firmware update. Check out the DATA User Guide starting on page 18 to learn about this feature. http://mordax.link/DATA_User_Guide
:tu:

exper - Fade time/persistence for scope traces is something I also like, it's on the list of things to implement.
I just got a Data a couple weeks ago. Thanks for pointing out I could read the manual! There’s so much information in there!I should have thought of this sooner!

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:40 pm

soggybag wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:30 am
I just got a Data a couple weeks ago. Thanks for pointing out I could read the manual! There’s so much information in there!I should have thought of this sooner!
:lol:
Rem Koolhaas

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Is there a way to make data output voltage in tuner mode so we can know what to tune to?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”