Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

plragde
Common Wiggler

Re: MORDAX : DATA - Now available for pre-order

Post by plragde » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Yes, see page 28 of the manual, at the bottom.

dnm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dnm » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm

DreamFangs wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 pm
dnm wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 am
Random request: anyone have a copy of DS010202.bin they could put somewhere that I could fetch with a plain HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP GET request? I've been trying to download the firmware from http://mordax.link/DATA_SYS_Firmware, but I keep getting either JS (when trying to download it with wget) or sent to a Google Account login screen, even when trying across several different browsers and systems, including incognito modes (to mitigate cookie issues).
Yea I gotchya. Check your PM.

Still hopefully bfessler or someone else from Mordax will see this and check their links. Sometimes updates goof things up.
Hey there. Just wanted to say thanks for this. Downloaded it a little while back and got around to updating last night while dropping another module into the skiff. Thanks again!

escargot
Common Wiggler

Post by escargot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:12 pm

plragde wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:30 pm
Yes, see page 28 of the manual, at the bottom.
Thanks! I had missed the pro tip… iam now a PRO :doh:

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 pm

dnm wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:38 pm
DreamFangs wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 pm
dnm wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:01 am
Random request: anyone have a copy of DS010202.bin they could put somewhere that I could fetch with a plain HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP GET request? I've been trying to download the firmware from http://mordax.link/DATA_SYS_Firmware, but I keep getting either JS (when trying to download it with wget) or sent to a Google Account login screen, even when trying across several different browsers and systems, including incognito modes (to mitigate cookie issues).
Yea I gotchya. Check your PM.

Still hopefully bfessler or someone else from Mordax will see this and check their links. Sometimes updates goof things up.
Hey there. Just wanted to say thanks for this. Downloaded it a little while back and got around to updating last night while dropping another module into the skiff. Thanks again!
Ey, no worries. Happy that worked out for ya. They're all good people running the company and all the users have been really cool as well. One big happy family. Actually most of the modular peoples have taken care of me when I needed help so happy to return the favor!

Cheers man!
We were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away.
Rem Koolhaas

deKaro
Common Wiggler

Post by deKaro » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 pm

Sugarwolf wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:20 am
I hope a future firmware update includes a screen saver or sleep feature for when I'm not using mine.
+1 for a screen saver (maybe some trippy ones like the oldschool Winamp or Win Media Player) or just stars like in old Amiga demos :yay:
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

BlackBearDiner
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackBearDiner » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:16 pm

I vote for bouncing DVD!

https://bouncingdvdlogo.com/

DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Sugarwolf wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:20 am
I hope a future firmware update includes a screen saver or sleep feature for when I'm not using mine.
deKaro wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 pm

+1 for a screen saver (maybe some trippy ones like the oldschool Winamp or Win Media Player) or just stars like in old Amiga demos :yay:

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:16 pm
I vote for bouncing DVD!

https://bouncingdvdlogo.com/
+1 3d star zoom
+1 bouncing DVD logo

80s nostalgia is always a winner. Maybe a faux 3D vector landscape flyover like a SW targeting computer retrowave graphic or other vector geometry? I know a guy with assets!
We were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away.
Rem Koolhaas

TumeniKnobs
Common Wiggler

Post by TumeniKnobs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm

+1 for the screensaver. Bouncing clock? 3D pipes? I don’t really care, but I leave my rack on for two, sometimes three weeks at a time and I’m regularly poking DATA just to prevent burn in.

Phitar
Constantly Learning

Post by Phitar » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm

TumeniKnobs wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm
+1 for the screensaver. Bouncing clock? 3D pipes? I don’t really care, but I leave my rack on for two, sometimes three weeks at a time and I’m regularly poking DATA just to prevent burn in.
Yes, a screensaver/timed blanking would be handy, but in the mean time why not use the method outlined by the manufacturer on page 44 of this thread? That's what I do with mine and that single little dot is so dim I doubt it would ever burn in. I do wish I could set the Data to automatically load that preset on boot though...

I vote for flying toasters of we get a real screensaver.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/phitar

TumeniKnobs
Common Wiggler

Post by TumeniKnobs » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:31 pm

Phitar wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm
TumeniKnobs wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm
Yes, a screensaver/timed blanking would be handy, but in the mean time why not use the method outlined by the manufacturer on page 44 of this thread? That's what I do with mine and that single little dot is so dim I doubt it would ever burn in. I do wish I could set the Data to automatically load that preset on boot though...

I vote for flying toasters of we get a real screensaver.
Yes, that’s not the worst workaround, but still a bit of a PITA. Loving these old school screensaver references. It was such a huge thing back in the day. Boy did I love that Simpsons screensaver…

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:25 am

Two questions on this (sorry if they're stupid ones).

1. Could I use it to calibrate my IME modules which require me to be able to send C1 and C7 voltages to my modules? (At the moment I only have Voltera which allows me -5 to +5 so I can't calibrate them).

2. How good is the tuner? For example, my DAW tuner really struggle when tuning modules like rings/ elements and even harsher ones like BIA and Manis. With this being specifically designed for Eurorack can I count on it being able to do the job even for these modules?

Thanks in advance.

mpTRONIX
Common Wiggler

Post by mpTRONIX » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 am

:stardance: christmas wish for the oscilloscope mode :stardance:

…the signal of the buffered through jacks can also be picked up via the output jacks…

put 4 lfo's in it and get 8 signals out

:popcorn: :zen: :animal:
Attachments
image.jpg

technomania
Common Wiggler

Post by technomania » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 am

Odd question, does anyone have the mordax sticker they don’t want?

Pm :)

fastlanestranger
Common Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:49 pm

technomania wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 am
Odd question, does anyone have the mordax sticker they don’t want?

Pm :)
Haha…it is a rather rad sticker. I stuck mine already specifically because it’sa good one.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:54 am

So I'm about to buy this. I know I should buy it because as someone who's been into just under a year I know it's gonna help me. However, there's still the devil on the shoulder saying I should spend the 500€ on a new delay or reverb which on the face of it is more fun.

Please give me the push I need to do the sensible thing.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:01 am

Buy the delay

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:54 am
So I'm about to buy this. I know I should buy it because as someone who's been into just under a year I know it's gonna help me. However, there's still the devil on the shoulder saying I should spend the 500€ on a new delay or reverb which on the face of it is more fun.

I had the same thought before I bought mine. In retrospect, the Data should have been one of the first modules I purchased when I started in Eurorack.

When it’s not in use for measuring and monitoring voltage, it serves as a good clock or dual VCO, which would have been handy in the beginning of my rabbit hole.

Do it man, you will not regret. It’s almost comparable to paying for a roof on a house. It’s money that won’t get you something exciting, but an essential expense.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 am

KSS wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:01 am
Buy the delay
:hihi: Don't be a dick!

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:12 am

DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 am
James_S wrote:

I had the same thought before I bought mine. In retrospect, the Data should have been one of the first modules I purchased when I started in Eurorack.

When it’s not in use for measuring and monitoring voltage, it serves as a good clock or dual VCO, which would have been handy in the beginning of my rabbit hole.

Do it man, you will not regret. It’s almost comparable to paying for a roof on a house. It’s money that won’t get you something exciting, but an essential expense.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Also, it says on the Mordax website that it has "4 output jacks (+10 to -5V range), can be CV, audio, trigger or gate signals". Are these CV outputs accurate enough for calibrating modules? Has anyone ever tried it?

DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:12 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 am
James_S wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Also, it says on the Mordax website that it has "4 output jacks (+10 to -5V range), can be CV, audio, trigger or gate signals". Are these CV outputs accurate enough for calibrating modules? Has anyone ever tried it?
Yep, I’ve used mine for calibration purposes and it’s worked fine. The team at Mordax are quite meticulous and produced a very solid and robust module.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:51 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 am
KSS wrote:
Buy the delay
I was dead serious. You asked for a push to do the sensible thing and based on what you wrote, I'd buy the delay over the Data at this time.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am

What do you want to use the Data for? If you want a comprehensive tool within your Euro case, fine. If you just want an easy visualization for the sounds you may be creating, for example, seeing how that wavefolder is folding your wave, get a Zeroscope (in either 1U and 3U formats) and have money left over for a delay or reverb.

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 am

KSS wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:51 am
James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 am
KSS wrote:
Buy the delay
I was dead serious. You asked for a push to do the sensible thing and based on what you wrote, I'd buy the delay over the Data at this time.
You don't think as a relative beginner having the data to show me what's going on with modulations etc would be useful?

James_S
Wiggling with Experience

Post by James_S » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am

s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am
What do you want to use the Data for? If you want a comprehensive tool within your Euro case, fine. If you just want an easy visualization for the sounds you may be creating, for example, seeing how that wavefolder is folding your wave, get a Zeroscope (in either 1U and 3U formats) and have money left over for a delay or reverb.
Exactly, more than anything to be able to visualise that my modification sources are doing exactly, as well as having an on board tuner. If I can use it for calibration duties, even better!!!

s.l.o.w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by s.l.o.w » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
s.l.o.w wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am
Exactly, more than anything to be able to visualise that my modification sources are doing exactly, as well as having an on board tuner. If I can use it for calibration duties, even better!!!
Right, so how important is the visualization vs. getting more modules in your rack that actually affect the sound? A Zeroscope is less than half the price of the Data, leaving, as noted, more cash available for other stuff as well.

This also brings up the interesting question of whether it's more useful to learn about modular/sound design/etc. by listening to the sounds generated or watching them? There are people who will turn off their DAW monitor screens when mixing, for example, to avoid the distraction of the colorful waveforms scrolling by.

From my personal perspective, I like a bit of visual feedback, but not to the extent of wanting to devote the cash and HP towards a Data. I have a Zeroscope. YMMV. Best of luck!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”