Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Mannequins' Cold Mac??

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 pm

How's Cold Mac at envelope following? Can it track quickly, and is there much ripple?

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 pm

liquidsn wrote:Damn They are upping their boxing game! Great looking packaging!
Coldmac & w/

Damn, I love their PCB covers they make to protect the back. Very nice touch!
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 am

Was just thinking about that. It would make for a good standard to adopt. Protects and adds awesome graphics to quick star card

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:00 pm

quick star card, what is that?

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:19 pm

I love the mystery of this module, but haven't had a chance to try one yet - it would look great next to my Sisters! I get what each individual function does, and think that the collection of utilities is certainly worth the price/hp, but judging from demos only, I've yet to hear a really musical application of unifying the functions together (surveilling, I guess). I've heard a lot of abrasive and chaotic noise, which is fine for the zillions of people who like that, but can someone point me to some more musical examples? Not meant to sound inflammatory, just clarifying what potential uses this has.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 pm

pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

[video][/video]

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 pm

mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:pinkflag16, at this time, the best demo of such I know of is this:

[video][/video]

Thanks! I jumped around a bit, and didn't hear too much specific to the CM except for the offset and panning thing, but I'll give it another watch when I have more time.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:45 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:mdoudoroff Thanks for that. I have never came across his videos before. I have found myself using my Cold Mac maily for mixing/crossfades and that about it at this point. It one of the modules I bought with knowing the functions it "can" do but I am also having a hard time seeing how they all interact.

One of the hard things for me is doing self patching on the Cold Mac, it hurts my head in a way that I need to overcome quickly.
While I think any module deserves to thoroughly explored, and it’s a useful challenge to dig in, there’s absolutely no shame at all in using the utilitarian components of Cold Mac (or Maths or really any other module) for rudimentary, un-sexy purposes.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 pm

I made a quick ’n dirty video demo of “patch surveillance”. Maybe some of you will find it helpful?

[video][/video]

I might get around to redoing this eventually with a better patch and an actual script. As it is, my impromptu description of the Location circuit is nonsense—please disregard.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 am

Great stuff.. thanks mdoudoroff

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 am

Brilliant mdoudoroff, really helpful.
Appreciative

XiXora
Common Wiggler

Post by XiXora » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:52 am

A true master of the Mac.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 am

XiXora wrote:A true master of the Mac.
Ha ha! Hardly. Nope! Not even close. But I’m giving it another shot. More to come.

nrg242
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nrg242 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 am

any new mdoudoroff video is extremely helpful. thanks for this one.

jarcorbo
Common Wiggler

Post by jarcorbo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for the video and patch ideas!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm

[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

screaming goo yo

XiXora
Common Wiggler

Post by XiXora » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Ah, lovely. My Cold Mac just arrived. I'll give this a good read (again).

Kohlhofer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kohlhofer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:58 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:(in the manual) As a whole greater than the sum of its parts, Cold Mac might be truly delightful to some folks, while others will run away screaming. Either way, you’re not wrong.
That made me happy. Nicely done. I have perceviered largely because of your great manual.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:[cross-post] Pleased to announce a vast overhaul of my Patching Cold Mac documentation. I’ve added quite a bit of new information and—I hope—clarity. If you see any errors, please let me know!

http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

screaming goo yo
Thanks for the heads up!

Your updated photos helped me immensely to visualize this madness.

danfastlikeflan
Common Wiggler

Post by danfastlikeflan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 am

Thanks for the great write up! It really clears up a lot of the mystique

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am

Today I sorted out how to pretty much reproduce the LOCATION circuit behavior in MATHS. The patch monopolizes one slew and the mixer, leaving one slew channel completely free.

You start with the basic full wave rectification patch for MATHS, mult your bipolar input signal into the template (inputs 2 and 3) and also to input 1 (or 4—whichever slew you want to use). The OR output goes to BOTH on the appropriate slew. Crank RISE and FALL, set the response to linear, and make sure the slews aren’t leaking into the mixer, and set the attenuverters for channels 2 and 3 to about 9pm and 3pm, respectively. Take unity out from the appropriate slew.

You can tweak the behavior by carefully adjusting the various knobs. For example, nudging the slew response toward logarithmic is a great way to really slow things down.

Sunden
Common Wiggler

Post by Sunden » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 pm

This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

You need some sort of comparator between the control signal and the maths ch. 1 slewing input. The comparator should output +X when the control signal is positive and -X when the control signal is negative. X is just whatever your desired min/max wall is.

I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Sunden wrote:This is a nice patch!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I don’t believe it is quite accurate (not that it matters it’s still cool!).

Using the full wave rectifier to make the rate of change proportional to the magnitude of the control input voltage is ace, but to me, this looks like the output voltage will ultimately stop at the control input voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. That is not true for location; it will keep going past the input voltage until it reaches the +5 or -5 wall depending on if the input is positive or negative.

On paper you’re right, but in actuality, LOCATION doesn’t do that. If in the input voltage is slightly greater or slightly less than 0v, then the voltage will gamely climb or fall to around 3.6v or -3.6v, and then stop. To get it to go further, you have to apply proportionately more voltage, and even then, it tops out at about 4.2v (or -4.2v). If you drive it with a full 10v (or -10v) you can get it up to 4.5v (-4.5v).

I’ll try to record this all on video at some point soon.

The MATHS patch produces slightly different (more predictable, more adjustable) results, but it’s all pretty close for practical purposes.
I actually never thought to send in negative voltage to the slewing inputs, didn’t realize that unity output was bipolar!
Oh yeah.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”