Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Mannequins' Cold Mac??

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Del
Common Wiggler

Re: Mannequins' Cold Mac??

Post by Del » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

Are there any Cold Mac experts checking in on this thread?

I’d like to know if there is a way to turn Cold Mac into a switch where a trigger toggles the extreme left and right survey positions. I can go back and forth using a square LFO from Quadrax, but I’d like to be able to do it with a trigger. Is there any way to use Cold Mac itself to do this? Or what else would I need? Bonus points for economy and simplicity!

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:43 pm

You need a sequential switch that the trigger goes flips between the min and max voltage you feed into it.

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:21 am

Del wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

I’d like to know if there is a way to turn Cold Mac into a switch where a trigger toggles the extreme left and right survey positions. I can go back and forth using a square LFO from Quadrax, but I’d like to be able to do it with a trigger. Is there any way to use Cold Mac itself to do this? Or what else would I need? Bonus points for economy and simplicity!

I suppose not really, however you can move a small value above and below 0v into the comparator (crease) and it’ll give you -5 or 5v out that you can then patch into survey or fade.

Unfortunately there’s no sample & hold, someone with bigger brain could maybe patch up some insane logic, I’m not sure.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:45 am

vidret wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:21 am
Del wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 pm

I suppose not really, however you can move a small value above and below 0v into the comparator (crease) and it’ll give you -5 or 5v out that you can then patch into survey or fade.

Unfortunately there’s no sample & hold, someone with bigger brain could maybe patch up some insane logic, I’m not sure.
Ah, I see what you’re saying. I don’t think I understood that Crease worked that way. So a triggered sample and hold into crease — out of that and into survey would actually give me what I REALLY want, even more than a plain switch; that is, a coin toss switch between two sources. I’ll have to try it. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the Patching Cold Mac guide, I guess that’s not how Crease works. I think you get a mirrored copy (negative values become positive ones, and vice versa). Too bad.

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 am

https://github.com/whimsicalraps/Manneq ... waveslicer

Damn, you’re right. I’d been thinking it was what I said above for a long while now haha. I thought it gave +5v over 0v and -5v under 0v.

But if you have s&h it sounds like you could use this anyway? It might get a bit complicated for this one simple thing tho.

Pressing sample&hold gives you a small negative value which in turn gives survey or fade +5v out of crease;
Releasing sample&hold returns it to a small positive value which gives survey or fade -5v out of crease.

In that case it might be easier to straight up skip the crease. Do you have a bipolar vca/ringmod?

Have the bias at full positive or negative and output into s&h, s&h into Mac survey.
When sampling apply that same signal to the VCA to invert the signal.

Holding is one, letting go is the other. Duck I’m thinking of track and hold aren’t I :lol:

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 am

I can think of other ways but not without using the upper portion of mac to do it, which is what you want to use it for.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:36 am

Even without trying to do it all within Cold Mac, this is an interesting patching challenge. Of course, there are a number of approaches to achieve the end using combinations of modules (depending on what, specifically, you have), but the need to toggle between -5v and +5v is a little unusual. (Given what I have, I would probably reach for a utility sequencer configured to cycle through two steps.)

Toggling between 0 and +5v would be easy with a flipflop, but that’s not good enough. Inverting a +5v signal would be straightforward, but I’m not aware of a module that inverts a signal based on a trigger.

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:52 am

A bipolar vca can invert a signal based on a trigger tho?

Or four quadrant multiplier for whoever goes into a rage about these things :lol:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 am

vidret wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:52 am

Or four quadrant multiplier for whoever goes into a rage about these things :lol:
Sort of, but in any case, it wouldn’t stick, which is a requirement.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

What about a two note sequence in Ornament and Crime? I have no idea what interval I’d have to use, but this might work, right?

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:06 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 am
vidret wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:52 am

Sort of, but in any case, it wouldn’t stick, which is a requirement.
right, ofc. I thought the s&h was in the equation.

I tried doing some kind of sample and hold with the integrator circut (location?) before, and that one can sort of hold a voltage if you input 0v, but it's not so quick to move up/down.

So there's your latching function I guess, but where to find the flip flop I don't know :hmm:

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:14 am

Here's a simple macro control type patch I worked out yesterday -

I wanted to use the survey knob to control the speed of an instruo lubadh reel as well as the cutoff frequency of the high-pass filter it went through so as the reel sped up in either direction, the cutoff increased for backwards and forwards playback.

Lubadh set to zero speed. Nothing patched into left, left output to pitch of lubadh. Left out multed to slope input, slope out to filter cutoff.

Rectifying the left output signal through slope makes it so when negative voltage is sent to lubadh to reverse playback, the signal rectified signal going to the filter acts the same as in forward playback.

Nothing amazing but I can see this type of thing being good for other applications as well.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”