King of the Kicks

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: King of the Kicks

Post by TemplarK » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:23 pm

timini wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:23 pm
for me, an ADSR is crucial for dope kicks, preferably one with a one-shot mode. I dial in fast attack and fast decay, with sustain set somewhere around the middle and a longer release. decay shapes the transient and the thump, while release becomes the decay and boom.
Do you need some special filter for this? I find my filter is only self resonating at high frequency, not sure how it can produce a kik drum? Any more tutorial out there?
The technique for building a kick this way usually goes as follows

a) Set filter to resonate (max resonance usually so its repeatable)

b)Tune the resonance to the fundemental you want the kick to play at
OR
b*) Tune the resonance so low as you cannot hear it (completely turn the cutoff counter clockwise)

c)Run an ADSR(or AD or ADR or ASR or any envelope) into the FM of the filter cutoff to shape the kick

d) run the resulting sound through a VCA and use a 2nd envelope (or copy of the 1st envelope) to shape the decay of the sound of the kick (how long it plays for)

d*) if you set the resonance so low you cannot hear it (see b*) you might not need a 2nd envleope and vca (because when your FM envleope stops the sound will naturally cutout because its too low for anyone to hear just make sure its not continually resonating in a range your speaker setup cannot give you if you don't have a sub woofer or analyser to tell you its at like 33hz or something a club setup would boom out but your little nearfields won't register)
Most active topic:THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit
(174 Posts / 13.21% of your posts)

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:52 am

You need a filter that produces self resonance over the whole spectrum. Most OTA 4-stage filters will do fine. Original Minimoog and SVF designs probably not.
One of the best filters for it is Ripples, which also has a build in VCA so you can shape pitch and loudness in the same module.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:42 pm

The new upcoming SSF Entity Ultra Kick BD sounds huge.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:44 pm

AXN wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:42 pm
The new upcoming SSF Entity Ultra Kick BD sounds huge.
Yeah it sounds ace so far.
I'm looking forward to compare the sound with the portal drum
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:14 am

Waaa my god! The first SSF Entity BD is already an killer module, can't wait for this new one.
But the new version doesn't seem to have that ultra decay. We'll see in the next demos.

SSF Entity Ultra Kick BD topic :
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&t=253617

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:31 am

kay_k wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:52 am
You need a filter that produces self resonance over the whole spectrum. Most OTA 4-stage filters will do fine. Original Minimoog and SVF designs probably not.
One of the best filters for it is Ripples, which also has a build in VCA so you can shape pitch and loudness in the same module.
Minimoog stops self oscillating below 120hz or so. The one I tried did anyway so it won't do.
Ripples is a great example, I've used the Doepfer A-106-6 to good results.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:38 am

Hey friends! Just In case anyone hadn't heard, I also have what I think is a pretty strong entry into the kick drum world (and it does bass too!) with B2:

https://westonaudio.com/b2.html

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”