Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Intellijel Plonk

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Plonk

Post by Kosmikos » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:43 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:22 pm
@Kosmikos you may like its cousin the Mutant Machine which is like the Mutant snare on steroids!
Haha, yes this looks totally legendary! :yay:
I’ll have to get rid of a few of my current modules to make space for this though!
I especially like Dr Snares:

mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Indeed much love for mutant drum and wmd percussion modules. Quite unique and fun.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
Doepfer Monster
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533298

Sequencer Modular Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533306

MDLR 14u travel case (super heavy but portable):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm

Just got a Plonk, but getting really strange behavior from it, parameters on screen are jumping when not modulated etc. It isn’t audible, but there seems something really wrong. Does somebody else had this behavior? I tried recalibration, firmware update, different bus, different case etc, all with no luck.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Sounds like you should try another psu or contact intellejel (or both)...

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Today I’ve been trying the Morph and the Preset step functions on the Mod input. This is giving me some great results! :hyper:

I don’t think it’s too difficult to dial in a specific preset, but I used the Black Sequencer, and at least Plonk switches on time, not after the trigger hits. The only think is the bigger the range the more precise the voltage. So I found that if you set a small preset range, it makes it easier to dial in the correct sound.

The menu diving is not too bad as I focused in designing sounds without noise so far, which limits the options. Assigning X & Y to a couple of key options really helps finding the sweet spots.

Also I discovered the Saturation, didn’t think much about it, but it sounds pretty sweet too.

Overall I’m super pleased with this module, it has surpassed my expectations, and it does sound really good to me. Ok it could do with more knobs, but it’s small enough to fit in my case without having to remove too many modules, so maybe it’s a good compromise.
I find it pretty easy to design new sounds from an existing one, but I also feel like there are plenty of things to try and plenty of areas for experimentation and growth.

roya
Common Wiggler

Post by roya » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:10 am

Anyone had a faulty screen that make it looks like this?

Bought it used and can get a full refund, want to know this is actually a problem before I send it back.

Thanks
BBC881D9-BB1A-4F57-8AE7-13D59A175FD4.jpeg

wont
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wont » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:59 pm

It doesn't look all that different to mine, maybe a bit fuzzier? I can't say I had actually ever noticed before taking a photo of it just now.

Stu B
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stu B » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am

Anyone have suggestions on how make Plonk louder? I’ve got it, I like it, but it’s seems slightly quiet compared to everything else. I’ve always got the mixer output maxed for it and even then I’d like a bit more. Any thoughts?

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

I don’t think it’s too difficult to dial in a specific preset, but I used the Black Sequencer, and at least Plonk switches on time, not after the trigger hits. The only think is the bigger the range the more precise the voltage. So I found that if you set a small preset range, it makes it easier to dial in the correct sound.
I just ordered one of these. I was reading the manual and trying to understand this “preset step” mode, if you can call it a mode — is this what you’re talking about above? Are you selecting a range of presets to cv control through? I was hoping there was a way to make your own “kit” or bank of sounds to use. Is there a way to do this?

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:48 am

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 am
Kosmikos wrote:

I just ordered one of these. I was reading the manual and trying to understand this “preset step” mode, if you can call it a mode — is this what you’re talking about above? Are you selecting a range of presets to cv control through? I was hoping there was a way to make your own “kit” or bank of sounds to use. Is there a way to do this?
Yes it is. Set the mod to preset, set the first number to first instrument of your kit, second number to last, save as an instrument to remember it. Use mod cv to change instruments, enjoy :party:

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 am

Stu B wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am
Anyone have suggestions on how make Plonk louder? I’ve got it, I like it, but it’s seems slightly quiet compared to everything else. I’ve always got the mixer output maxed for it and even then I’d like a bit more. Any thoughts?
There is gain in config settings.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:59 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:48 am
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 am
Kosmikos wrote:

Yes it is. Set the mod to preset, set the first number to first instrument of your kit, second number to last, save as an instrument to remember it. Use mod cv to change instruments, enjoy :party:
Thanks. So you can make kits as long as all of the individual sounds are consecutive? Am I understanding that right? You can’t take sound #1, 8, 14, 23, 30, only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or what have you?

Stu B
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stu B » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:19 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 am
Stu B wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am
There is gain in config settings.
Brilliant, thankyou!

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:26 am

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:59 am
Thanks. So you can make kits as long as all of the individual sounds are consecutive? Am I understanding that right? You can’t take sound #1, 8, 14, 23, 30, only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or what have you?
Yes you can use 1, 8, 14, 23, 30, just set the first Preset Step number to 1, second number to 30, wiggle the mod input to find 8, 14, 23.

Think of the Preset Step parameter as the min and max for the Mod input voltage.

The precision range with the semitone voltage provided by the Black Sequencer seems to be about 50 presets, more than than and you’ll miss some in between. I guess Switching to microtonal mode would allow a more precise voltage to be sent to Plonk’s MOD input (or use the BS own mod instead of cv output), but I’m fine to limit myself with 50 presets, as more than that and it’s a lot of knob turning. I did a track with it set with all 100 instruments, still worked great, and not too precise switch of instruments made it fun.

Don’t forget to save if you don’t want to have to reset the range every time you are using this kit.
The Preset Set is saved with an instrument, there is no relationship between what it points to and the slot it is saved to.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:26 am
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:59 am
Yes you can use 1, 8, 14, 23, 30, just set the first Preset Step number to 1, second number to 30, wiggle the mod input to find 8, 14, 23.

Think of the Preset Step parameter as the min and max for the Mod input voltage.
At the risk of seeming very dense, let me ask for clarification one more time. You’re setting the range, right? But not the specific sounds? For example, from 1— 20. But let’s say there are sounds within that range that I DON’T want. If I’m choosing the sounds within the set randomly (with an LFO or sample & hold) instead of with a sequencer, I’m going to get those sounds I don’t want. Am I right? There’s no way to click in the specific presets in the middle of that range? If I wanted a very specific and limited set, I’d have to save them in a series together and use the Preset Step feature?

Apologies again if I’m misunderstanding this. Even reading the manual, I couldn’t quite understand. I thought if there were some saved preset kits that Intellijel had made, that users should be able to make their own, too.

Thanks for the explanation about saving the Preset Steps, too. That part I understand.

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 am
let’s say there are sounds within that range that I DON’T want. If I’m choosing the sounds within the set randomly (with an LFO or sample & hold) instead of with a sequencer, I’m going to get those sounds I don’t want. Am I right? There’s no way to click in the specific presets in the middle of that range? If I wanted a very specific and limited set, I’d have to save them in a series together and use the Preset Step feature?
Correct.

If you want to have your own kit, then saving it on consecutive memory slots will prevent you from hitting programs you don’t want. You can then set the Preset to start at the first program of your kit, and end at the last. In this case I would also set the Mod Preset Step on the first program and save it there, I believe that’s how the factory kits are done.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 am
let’s say there are sounds within that range that I DON’T want. If I’m choosing the sounds within the set randomly (with an LFO or sample & hold) instead of with a sequencer, I’m going to get those sounds I don’t want. Am I right? There’s no way to click in the specific presets in the middle of that range? If I wanted a very specific and limited set, I’d have to save them in a series together and use the Preset Step feature?
Correct.

If you want to have your own kit, then saving it on consecutive memory slots will prevent you from hitting programs you don’t want. You can then set the Preset to start at the first program of your kit, and end at the last. In this case I would also set the Mod Preset Step on the first program and save it there, I believe that’s how the factory kits are done.
Got it. Thanks again, Kosmikos.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”