Who makes custom blind panels?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TrondC
Common Wiggler

Who makes custom blind panels?

Post by TrondC » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Dust is settling way too easy in the 72HP I have free in my system right now, and even the doepfer blinds will end up costing me a silly amount of money.. So I'm thinking, does anyone do custom blind panels for a nicer price? And, just because I'm curious, would engraving/prints on them drive up the price significantly? I mean, who wouldn't like to have their band/artist name/logo in their modular?

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 pm

draw or put some stickers on cardboard. quickest and cheapest solution :party:
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

TrondC
Common Wiggler

Post by TrondC » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Cardboard works temporary, but I have a toddler and a cat who both make a mess with the cardboard solution, I also play out live (ok to be honest I have not taken the modular out yet, but I plan to..) so I definately want actual blind panels

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm

try ponoko.
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

burkaygur
Common Wiggler

Post by burkaygur » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:46 pm

I can make plywood or 3D printed blanks with any art you want on it. PM me if interested!

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:24 pm

ive been making custom laser cut acrylic blanks for wigglers for a while now. heres my thread from musictech/diy. i have some precut ones for sale in the bst too. pm me if your interested.

viewtopic.php?t=124989&highlight=
Żłob modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

Recent Eurorack compositions on vinyl "Tholins of Kharon"
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my defunct metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

okayiquit
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Who makes custom blind panels?

Post by okayiquit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 pm

Try etsy?

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Magpie Modular makes blank panels of all sizes, in natural aluminum or black. Every time I order from them, I make a point of also ordering two or three blanks in a BUNCH of sizes. After shopping with them for years I have all the blanks I will ever need, and they all look perfectly uniform.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:55 pm

I used a mount board offcut cut to 3u high to fit the gap in my case when I was putting my synth together. Just for giggles, I painted a strange thing with floating Dobbsheads on it to make it visually interesting. I was able to cut a precise section out every time I bought a new module, did the job nicely.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm

+1 for Magpie blanks. Their powder coating is stellar and the natural aluminum very consistent.

transistorresistor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:49 pm

front panel express will make anything you want.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm

transistorresistor wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:49 pm
front panel express will make anything you want.
And they will put any design you want on them permanently too, either etched (expensive) or photo. Not very cheap though. A 72HP panels in plain aluminum (you can choose Black, Blue, Green, Gold and Red also) with four mounting holes is about US$38 each here in the US.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Polarflux
Common Wiggler

Post by Polarflux » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 pm

Funny that this thread came alive. I'm looking for a place to do panel fab, a little more than blind panels. Front Panel Express is BIG$$$. I am also aware of Ponoko, but I have not reached out to get a quote. I'm interested in black (or color) anodized aluminum, and laser etching would be cool but screen printed panels will also work. Expedient web-front ended options seems to be limited in the US. Any ideas?
Reality is whatever refuses to go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K. Dick

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 pm

I’ve just been filling some gaps and have a persistent and curious cat so it needed to be durable.

Can recommend Magpie Blanks (glossy finish is nice to look at but fingerprint magnets, but they are well priced)

Also have several from wiggler onurkalaycioglu that are solid and nice to look at, and exceptionally cost effective.

Lastly LMNTL makes some matte black and some aluminum blanks that are generally cheaper than Doepfer, and are really nicely made. Perfect Circuit has them, but they are OOS frequently.

Polarflux
Common Wiggler

Post by Polarflux » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm

nolongerhuman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 pm
I’ve just been filling some gaps and have a persistent and curious cat so it needed to be durable.

Can recommend Magpie Blanks (glossy finish is nice to look at but fingerprint magnets, but they are well priced)

Also have several from wiggler onurkalaycioglu that are solid and nice to look at, and exceptionally cost effective.

Lastly LMNTL makes some matte black and some aluminum blanks that are generally cheaper than Doepfer, and are really nicely made. Perfect Circuit has them, but they are OOS frequently.
What about panel fabrication, i.e. custom fab and drilling/milling.

By the way, it finally clicked who your avatar photo is. Nice. I don't have any Johnny Walker, but I do have a glass like that.
Reality is whatever refuses to go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K. Dick

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Polarflux wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm
nolongerhuman wrote:

By the way, it finally clicked who your avatar photo is. Nice. I don't have any Johnny Walker, but I do have a glass like that.
I didn’t look much into fabrication because the blanks I needed are going to end up short-mid term. The space will eventually be modules so it didn’t make much sense for me to splurge. Every type of custom fab I did see was complicated and costly in small batches. I believe the wiggler onurkalaycioglu will do some custom etching though. If I recall I had my band logo etched.

It’s in my top 3 films, I have a little display case in the studio with a pair of the glasses and a bottle of the JW Blade Runner edition. :guinness:

Polarflux
Common Wiggler

Post by Polarflux » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm

nolongerhuman wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 pm
Polarflux wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm
nolongerhuman wrote:

I didn’t look much into fabrication because the blanks I needed are going to end up short-mid term. The space will eventually be modules so it didn’t make much sense for me to splurge. Every type of custom fab I did see was complicated and costly in small batches. I believe the wiggler onurkalaycioglu will do some custom etching though. If I recall I had my band logo etched.

It’s in my top 3 films, I have a little display case in the studio with a pair of the glasses and a bottle of the JW Blade Runner edition. :guinness:
Yeah, one of my top films also, for sure. Notable whisky squirrled away in studios must be a thing. Mine is for the future, whatever that will be.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:30 pm

I tried to find some good 3d printable blank euro panels, to fill some gaps in my cabinet, and tried a lot of them, but wasn't happy with any of them. And ended up designing my own. Eventually I'll put them on thingiverse and wherever, once i really finish up the set - need to add some 1U blanks also.

Curious, and a sort of interest check - would anyone be interested in dirt cheap 3d printed plastic blank panels, in a variety of colors and sizes?

DruidTek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DruidTek » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Audio Parasites offer a massive range of custom blind and alternate panels, many of which are LED backlit.
https://www.facebook.com/audioparasites/

We're really happy with the one they designed for Tendrils.
https://www.tendrilscables.com/product/ ... nd-panels/

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 am

Can anyone recommend a good blind panel dealer in europe? I need a 16HP panel, but they're out of stock everywhere...
Last edited by what gives? on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 am

TrondC wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 pm
even the doepfer blinds will end up costing me a silly amount of money..
1*42hp, 3*8hp, 1*4hp and 1*2hp doepfer blind panels usually don't get past 30€, I wouldn't really call that a silly amount of money...
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 am

what gives? wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 am
Can anyone recommend a good blind panel dealer in EU? I need a 16HP panel, but they're out of stock everywhere...
2*8hp?
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:04 am

https://syinsi.com/Shop/panels/
a lot of stuff is out of stock but the small stuff is in stock at good prices.

getting PCB panels made in 72HP would be super easy. it is much more cost effective to get 100 units for $2.50 each. you can get gold plating, glossy or matte finishes. lots of bright colors. black or white text. raw copper. silver plated. clear over copper. light yellow FR4 raw resin reinforced fiberglass. custom color FR4 in 1000 quantity.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

null.modular
1-Post Wiggler

Post by null.modular » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 am

what gives? wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 am
Can anyone recommend a good blind panel dealer in EU? I need a 16HP panel, but they're out of stock everywhere...
I'm out of stock online at the moment.. you can see them here..

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/nullarts?r ... form-mcnav

..but I do have one 3U / 16HP left (new, unused) in my own collection (along with a variety of 1U). Happy to pass it on if you can PM me.

chriddler
Common Wiggler

Post by chriddler » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:43 am

The easiest/cheapest thing for me to do is to 3d print blind panels. I then glue watercolour paper to them using Mod Podge, and paint them. Just for lols. Another thing to do is to cover them with stickers. Got lots of knobs because you experimented with 3d printing them? Make a module called OOPS JUST KNOBS

My Eurorack (the Neutron isn't racked btw!) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1577670

Return to “Eurorack Modules”