Sibling, Sis, Dora, Maps IC? ARP Little Brother-Explorer clone.

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sibling, Sis, Dora, Maps IC? ARP Little Brother-Explorer clone.

Post by KSS » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:48 pm

A question in another thread about suboctaves got me thinking about these old Frac designs. Any interest in having them become Frac modules?

Sibling is ARPs 2950 Little Brother in frac module form. Dora is -of course- the Explorer half ARP added to the Little Brother to make that classic synth. Sibling's the VCO and Dora's the VCF-VCA-EGs. Either is viable by itself, but they are clearly intended as family!
Sis is a second VCO to work with -or against- its Sibling. And Maps is a means to get the Explorer presets for Dora. And to greatly expand on those compared to the vintage version.

I had Sibling, Dora and Sis all working on a breadboard, and still have the parts bought to populate the first PCBs and modules. Maps was not as far along but is very much like an O_C in concept and the years since would make this part *much* easier than back then.

Yes, it looks like a Euro panel. It's a combo drawing. Frac panels would fill the white area top and bottom and the red circles show where the Frac mounting holes go. Frac had become much less popular and I remember not really wanting to do the changes needed for 12V to make it Euro compatible.

I moved away from Frac and started focusing on 50SQ so these have been sitting in limbo since. Anybody want to add some classic ARP to their Frac synth?
Attachments
SiblingSisDoraMaps-2a.JPG
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sibling, Sis, Dora, Maps IC? ARP Little Brother-Explorer clone.

Post by KSS » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Here's a fully Frac version.
And a correction. Sis is not a second VCO, She provides greater access to the one in Sibling. ARP had pared down the 4027-1 Little Brother VCO to just the barest essentials. Sis adds back in all the things you'd expect from a full featured VCO.

I left the green alternate LFO CV label I'd been considering to replace the LFO Reset. I remember not being sure which if these to keep?

Edit: You can watch videos and read the ARP manuals for the Explorer and Little Brother to learn more about this module set. It can do all that those do and has additional features thoey lack.

One thing I notice that's not obvious from the panel labeling is the LFO in the Sibling is a separate circuit from the main VCO.

Since those manuals and videos won't show the Maps module, here's a liitle about what was planned for it.
First it's meant to support Dora with all the presets of the ARP Explorer. Additionally the GPS label stands for General Presets System. It was to provide preset voltages of many types for both Dora and also for general use in any CV, G, T system. A Disting or O_C type general voltage-signal source before those came out.
The Modcan CV recorder was out back then and it was an inspiration. You can see the three jacks with blue rectangle bodies and uncommitted label markings. That's because the actual display to be used in Maps wasn't yet chosen. It was unknown if it would require the space those jacks occupied.
The plan was to have 3 inputs, 3 outs and 3 more jacks which could be set to input or output. The Time knob is an encoder with push switch.
Attachments
SiblingSisDoraMaps-Frac-2c.JPG

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 am

Would be interested in the MAPS one for sure in frac format. As an independent O_C type of thing this would be very useful.
EDIT: Possibly DORA too.
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:15 am

I love the idea, but the panel design, not so much… I’ve never been a fan of the “Halloween” Arps. I really prefer the black and gold MK2 as opposed to the black and orange MK3. Also, the text for the module names seems a bit too big; it’s actually kind of distracting when you look at the panels. Your attention is immediately drawn to the bottom of the panels rather than the top and middle. Also, I personally would like to see wider panels with more space between jacks, knobs and sliders. One of the things John Blacet definitely got right was planning out an interface that allows room to breath. Nothing is too crowded, and all of the knobs and patching are easy to navigate. Nothing feels cramped. I understand the impulse to put as much into as small a panel as possible, but I think it’s wrong for Frac. Sometimes it works in Euro, but it looks really strange and out of place in a Frac module.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Thank you both for the feedback.

@mamonu
Is Dora appealing more due to the Maps enabled presets or for its basic filter EG utility?

@monstrinho
This is the black and gold version. The gold rounded corner bounding lines are not seen in black orange ARPs.
I can see how the module labels may be too big. Thanks. If Sibling, Sis and Dora were bumped up to triples and dual, I'm not sure how much more ease in use you'd actually get? Jacks would be better for sure, but the switches, sliders and knobs aren't really hard to use at present spacing. Would more space for the jacks really make enough difference to be worth the added cost and space in the rack? If Maps is kept a single, then you're using up nearly an entire Blacet row 9 of 10 spaces.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm

It looks like a whole voice, I don't know why taking up a whole row would be that odd? This isn't euro. But more importantly ... how can you not use those funky borders with the reversed corners like on the explorer?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:04 pm

soup wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 pm
But more importantly ... how can you not use those funky borders with the reversed corners like on the explorer?
??
Attachments
rob's explorer 2.jpg
00r0r_fXX9J5OyVS7_600x450.jpg
00r0r_fXX9J5OyVS7_600x450.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 194 times

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:04 pm
??
ccs-3-0-07105900-1470940333.jpg

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 pm

@soup
Definitely the 70s!

Here's a wider set.
Attachments
SiblingSisDoraMaps-Frac-3b-Wide.JPG

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:19 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 pm
@soup
Definitely the 70s!

Here's a wider set.

Now that immediately looks much better to me! I have no problem at all with these taking all (or most) of a frac row. In fact, if it takes 9 out of 10, maybe you could add a 1 frac width utility panel to complete the row. Maybe a buffered mult or some attenuators etc. One question; were you planning this as a DIY project?

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:18 am

KSS wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 pm
Thank you both for the feedback.

@mamonu
Is Dora appealing more due to the Maps enabled presets or for its basic filter EG utility?
Both,
I like maps enabled presets but even without them...
its the fact that in frac I am always in need for more envelopes. Having one with the filter is :tu:

I also like the panel change so that the module names are smaller. It fits more with frac kind of design
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:26 pm

I'd be interested in a set of these for sure.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”