EG1 OUT problem

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

EG1 OUT problem

Post by analogsplitter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:16 pm

In case anyone can help on this. When I run the EG1 "OUT" into the CV Freq input of my VCO, the pitch only moves a little bit. When I use the "INV OUT" the pitch moves a lot (which is what I want). I have the trimmer pot (that controls the voltage OUT level) maxed out already, so am wondering what the problem could be?

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Re: EG1 OUT problem

Post by soup » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Did it used to work properly?

Probably the pot needs to be replaced. Definitely check the soldering there. There is also an unattenuated output on the pcb labeled JA.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:50 pm

soup wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Probably the pot needs to be replaced. Definitely check the soldering there. There is also an unattenuated output on the pcb labeled JA.
Thanks. I bought it used so I'm not sure if it worked before.
I tried out the Level knob, using the INV OUT jack, and the knob doesn't work. Does that prove it's the pot (or soldering) maybe?

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:05 pm

The level out pot only affects the normal out, it doesn't affect the INV OUT, so unfortunately doesn't prove anything.

Ideally you need to measure the resistance of the pot ( and/or trimmer). Do you have a multimeter?

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:19 pm

werock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:05 pm
The level out pot only affects the normal out, it doesn't affect the INV OUT, so unfortunately doesn't prove anything.

Ideally you need to measure the resistance of the pot ( and/or trimmer). Do you have a multimeter?
Yeah, I have a multimeter. Not sure what setting to use though.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 pm

When you say the trim is "maxed out", could it be 'maxed' in the wrong direction? Did you try other settings of the trimmer? You don't need a meter to see if it's having any effect.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:02 am

Nope, it's "maxed out" in the correct way. The other direction produces minimal effect.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:03 am

soup wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I ended up routing the negative output jack to the JA solder point to get full positive output. It works for now (but with no knob or negative out...).

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:09 pm

I would connect the positive output jack to JA instead that way you could have both positive and negative.

It's either the pot or the soldering, there's not much else going on at that point.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:57 pm

I tried moving the positive red wire (from its hole on the board) to JA, but it either was low level, or it didn’t work (can’t remember)... but the negative wire worked. I’m ok with it.

Sometimes I max out the release time, and use the trigger button to have the cv out rise a little bit (on each press of the trigger), but not drop down (due to super long release). To make it more performance controller like, I’d like to add a button or switch to quickly max out the release (bypassing the knob). Any quick and easy ideas? Ideally, if I add a resistor (where?) Id like it to make the release super long (effectively holding the cv where it is), no matter what the time base is set at.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31 pm

There shouldn't be anything different between the positive and the negative out jacks. Check that the jack is properly connected and that it's not shorting out on the mounting rails.

The release CV jack will do exactly what you want just send it a gate or a positive voltage from some control source.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”