Hybrid Case?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

triplizard
Wiggling with Experience

Hybrid Case?

Post by triplizard » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I have a row of Fraq (Dark Star Chaos, Time Machine, Klang Werk, some Syntech ports) along with like 15u of Eurorack. The Frac stuff is in a pretty ugly aluminum rack mount frame in an even uglier old rack mount case and so it doesn't get used that much.

I was thinking it would be nice to get a wooden case where I could have a row of Fraq and then a bunch of Euro in the same case. Anybody done this before and/or have any suggested cases that might work?

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Hybrid Case?

Post by emmaker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm

I just use a cheap mid-atlantic 20U rack that I added a back panel to that the PSUs (Power One 1.5A +/-15, 3.0A +/-12), wiring and euro bus boards are mounted to. Got 6U Blacet and 12U euro and 2 1U 3.5mm multis.

https://www.middleatlantic.com/products ... /rk20.aspx

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Yeah, I mix Frac & Euro.
Most of them are in separate cases,
but I do have one sequencing cabinet that includes a row of each.
The Frac row is using an old Blacet PSU,
and the Euro row is using an old TipTop powered busboard.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:43 am

i alternate frac and euro rows in a freestanding rack. i have two Power One supplies on shelves behind the rack and then one Blacet and one doepfer A100 mounted on the racks themselves. i did have a suitcase for awhile that had a row of frac and one of euro, but it had to be really deep because of how deep the frac was. i went through a bunch of vintage tweed suitcases looking and finally got one that had been a sewing machine case. ultimately the modular just grew too fast and i wanted more room and switched to standard racking. i’m at 3 and 3 now.

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:27 am

If you use vector rails for a case it would be pretty easy to mix and match, you would just need each row to have slightly different horizontal spacing to allow for the different pitches of Frac & Euro. I doubt there's a commercially available case that allows for that, so it would have to be DIY.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:43 am

A euro case that is some multiple of 15hp, 120 hp being the common size, will fit frac if you reposition the rails.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:47 pm

one of the problems i had with my case was finding an off the shelf power supply that was reasonable for the frac row. i did mount a Power One in there but that was heeeaaavvy. my thought was to have a single 15v supply in there and step it down for 12v euro but i never did it.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”