OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:37 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pm
How easy is it to hook up an external midi keyboard and live print a polyphonic take (live played chord progressions, with flourishes, different notes being sustained, etc) to one of the sequencer tracks?

If you nail that, this thing will likely destroy any of its peers...
Well, there was some bugs with tied notes until this week. No more!
Press record on Polyphonic mode and you are good to go. You can even quantize to a scale, if playing the correct notes bugs you haha

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by WarpHead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:44 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:37 pm
WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pm
How easy is it to hook up an external midi keyboard and live print a polyphonic take (live played chord progressions, with flourishes, different notes being sustained, etc) to one of the sequencer tracks?

If you nail that, this thing will likely destroy any of its peers...
Well, there was some bugs with tied notes until this week. No more!
Press record on Polyphonic mode and you are good to go. You can even quantize to a scale, if playing the correct notes bugs you haha
Damn, this is shaping up to be a dream of a sequencer. :yay:

The ability to edit CV settings on the fly with the grid is truly inspired.
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm

This thing is looking better and better all the time, looking forward to getting a hold of one. So far it's checking all of my "things I want in a sequencer" boxes.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:06 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:44 pm
Damn, this is shaping up to be a dream of a sequencer. :yay:

The ability to edit CV settings on the fly with the grid is truly inspired.
We are aiming for it!

I was tired of midi to cv fixed converters. The ones that are configurable are far from quick to do, using sysex files or menu diving.
Here we make use of the grid to make it performable! It's a personal dream to be honest :D
thisoldmike wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm
This thing is looking better and better all the time, looking forward to getting a hold of one. So far it's checking all of my "things I want in a sequencer" boxes.
Let us know if there's some unticked boxes, we can still tick them, maybe 8-)

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm

I'm guessing the hardware can no longer be changed?

I love that the clock input can also function as a cv input (if I understood correctly), but then one presumably loses external clocking capability.

A suggestion could be (if it's not already implemented, or perhaps for a next version) to have a 3.5mm trs input jack for the clock/cv input. Then a 3.5mm insert cable (trs to 2x ts) could be used to input both clock and a cv signal simultaneously.

P.s: love that u are so active on here as well. I'm in the FB group, but am not really active on FB, so it's great to be able to talk here!
Don't believe the hype.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm
I'm guessing the hardware can no longer be changed?

I love that the clock input can also function as a cv input (if I understood correctly), but then one presumably loses external clocking capability.

A suggestion could be (if it's not already implemented, or perhaps for a next version) to have a 3.5mm trs input jack for the clock/cv input. Then a 3.5mm insert cable (trs to 2x ts) could be used to input both clock and a cv signal simultaneously.

P.s: love that u are so active on here as well. I'm in the FB group, but am not really active on FB, so it's great to be able to talk here!
Last hw revision will arrive this month. So little things that could be changed.

Clock in socket is trs, yay! With a splitter you can use both clock and cv in. Or two cv in, we hope.

Yes, it's nice to be around seeing people's reaction. We've been in the dark for looong time, getting feedback now it's refreshing and feeds our motivation.
Please keep em coming!

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 am

This is looking better with each question that gets answered, it’s almost like every time someone has a wish for the Oxi, it has already come true - but hadn’t yet been revealed. It shows a charming kind of modesty I think. I wasn’t so keen on the 1€ “preorder” thing, but I jumped on it before it’s too late. I love sequencers and if the software is right, this is going to be a real winner

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 am

This and SQ-64 announcements finally convinced me getting an external sequencer for my Eurorack system. I love Arturia's hardware synths, but somehow I never liked the Key/Beat-Steps at all, and those seemed to be the only reasonable and affordable options for a far too long time. 2021, about time!

I get there's a huge gap in features number between the Oxi One and the SQ-64, but I'm still on the Korg side because of the more streamlined UI. I pre-ordered one in December, but recent delays in the supply chain (probably Korg's fault) are annoying me, (some sites changed their listing from January to June!). If that doesn't get better, I'll consider the Oxi One even more strongly.

What do you think about that? I mean, the status quo of external "performance" hardware sequencer for modular synths?

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:46 am

This may have been mentioned before, but as much as I appreciate all the CV I/O, my only gripe is that they all point out the back. I would have preferred they point up for easier patching and less desk spaghetti to deal with. I guess I'll make some right angle to straight cables and label them so they'll be perma-patched into the back.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:27 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 am
I get there's a huge gap in features number between the Oxi One and the SQ-64, but I'm still on the Korg side because of the more streamlined UI.
Definitely SQ-64 was something that has caught our attention.

With Oxi, we wanted to raise the bar of limitations as high as possible so you are sure to buy future proof (updates will be regular). Also, there're so many features that it's challenging to educate our fellow musicians regarding its capabilities, we are getting there though!
The list of features alone is great, but the implementation of them and what we bring new to the game is why we are confident that Oxi One will stand out on its own even among the big names in the industry. This machine is incredibly intuitive to use once you understand the basic structure of having 4 sequencers running at once. There're new paths we took that we haven't seen in other instruments, like the cv out implementation, much less having all in one. The aim was also to make it as affordable as possible without sacrificing any crucial aspect.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 am

davidjames wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:46 am
This may have been mentioned before, but as much as I appreciate all the CV I/O, my only gripe is that they all point out the back. I would have preferred they point up for easier patching and less desk spaghetti to deal with. I guess I'll make some right angle to straight cables and label them so they'll be perma-patched into the back.
To make it as compact as it is, we had to go this way.

But you are in luck!

We have thought about this overcooked spaghetti problem as well. We have a proto on the works of an adaptor and an eurorack module. The idea is that you plug this add-on on the back of your Oxi One (like 1,5cm from the back, really slim) and then use a single multi core cable (nothing fancy, a regular HDMI) to connect to a passive eurorack module with all the I/O available in 6HP. Being all passive should make it really affordable.

This means first, that the routings you make stay on the rack itself. You can unplug, take your battery powered Oxi One somewhere else, come back, plug a single cable and have the patch as you left it. Second, it's just one cable to plug any time you want to use your rack. Third, with another module you could mult your outputs with direct connection behind the modules.

I think this solution is nicer than having them on top, what do you think?

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:44 am

bmot wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 am
This is looking better with each question that gets answered
I'm taking this like a challenge now haha
Thanks a lot for your support!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:03 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 am
davidjames wrote:

But you are in luck!

We have thought about this overcooked spaghetti problem as well. We have a proto on the works of an adaptor and an eurorack module. The idea is that you plug this add-on on the back of your Oxi One (like 1,5cm from the back, really slim) and then use a single multi core cable (nothing fancy, a regular HDMI) to connect to a passive eurorack module with all the I/O available in 6HP. Being all passive should make it really affordable.

This means first, that the routings you make stay on the rack itself. You can unplug, take your battery powered Oxi One somewhere else, come back, plug a single cable and have the patch as you left it. Second, it's just one cable to plug any time you want to use your rack. Third, with another module you could mult your outputs with direct connection behind the modules.

I think thats a brilliant idea to eliminate the desk spaghetti altogether! I've used the Intellijel Octalink before and works well for CV. The chaining feature is a great idea but might introduce some voltage drop because of the passive connection. Although I passively mult pitch CV now and it seems fine across two outputs.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 am
davidjames wrote:

But you are in luck!

There is some benefit to only having one cable, as long as you also create a MU/5U module for those of us that do not have Eurorack setups.
Right now, using a KeyStep Pro connected to my system, I have always between 4 and 8 cv/gate cables connected plus the MIDI cable to the KSP, so it is awkward when I try to move it around.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm
There is some benefit to only having one cable, as long as you also create a MU/5U module for those of us that do not have Eurorack setups.
Right now, using a KeyStep Pro connected to my system, I have always between 4 and 8 cv/gate cables connected plus the MIDI cable to the KSP, so it is awkward when I try to move it around.
5U may come as well if there's enough interest!
The idea is that you would only have one cable connected to Oxi One (remember it can be battery powered) and save 18 cables; 8 cvs, 8 gates and clock I/O.

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm
oldgearguy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm
5U may come as well if there's enough interest!
The idea is that you would only have one cable connected to Oxi One (remember it can be battery powered) and save 18 cables; 8 cvs, 8 gates and clock I/O.
There's a range of pusherman (and other) modules like this, using hdmi cables or the like. Sounds like an excellent idea to have an adaptor for plugging in the back. :tu:
Don't believe the hype.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Yes! there's several designs. Here's ours :)

Attachments
38c413e6-52e1-484d-bd3b-d412daa858d0.jpg

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:03 pm

I feel like I'm in the Matrix right now - and that's a complement, to be clear.

Literally any question or even innocuous comment, and you guys have a schematic, mock-up or some design ready as an instant reply. :lol:

You're absolutely smashing it, as far as I'm concerned. :tu: :tu: :yay:
Don't believe the hype.

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:23 pm

Well done OXI! Impressive idea- smithing.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:51 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:03 pm
I feel like I'm in the Matrix right now - and that's a complement, to be clear.

Literally any question or even innocuous comment, and you guys have a schematic, mock-up or some design ready as an instant reply. :lol:

You're absolutely smashing it, as far as I'm concerned. :tu: :tu: :yay:
Haha thank you so much! The module and the adapter PCBs will arrive next week, hopefully I’ll be able to share the looks much better.
We are part of the community and thus we focus on solutions that works for us as musicians. I have to say is fun to think on every possible use scenario and try to address it from the musician point of view, that’s the key to me.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:12 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:14 am
adam s wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:19 pm
VCA was just one example, but yeah I like to do stepped volume modulation in my sequences so I would be using a CC->CV on a vca. But the question applies to anything that wants full 0-10v or full -5v. Anyhow I guess there are workarounds with intermediate cv processors but I’d love a sequencer that can address the full range of CV inputs on any sort of module.
#metoo
+1 for this!

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm

Would it be possible to have Ableton Link? I'm thinking about another sequencer that is also launching soon, the T-1 by Torso Electronics, which was able to add Ableton Link when they maxed out their Kickstarter. Oxi One seems ideal to use with an iPad and a modular combo & Ableton Link would be super convenient for working with the iPad side.

Also, I'm excited and will buy one as soon as they launch. Thanks for all the work!!!

Orange
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:20 am

The outbreak module is great 👍.
Can’t wait for the Oxi!

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:02 am

SonarBk wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm
Would it be possible to have Ableton Link? I'm thinking about another sequencer that is also launching soon, the T-1 by Torso Electronics, which was able to add Ableton Link when they maxed out their Kickstarter. Oxi One seems ideal to use with an iPad and a modular combo & Ableton Link would be super convenient for working with the iPad side.

Also, I'm excited and will buy one as soon as they launch. Thanks for all the work!!!
+1 would love this if it’s possible.

Also love the breakout. Also can’t wait to throw my KSP through a wall once I get my hands on this :hihi:

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 am

The monster feature list is looking great. I really hope this makes it to shipping, and that it mostly works- and bugs get fixed in a timely manner. Having been burned by a popular desktop sequencer box recently with showstopper bugs concerning timing accuracy (both live and oddly, on export), I feel a little nervous.

I feel like having a device that works properly should be more important than a laundry list of every feature in the known universe. A unit that can do everything badly is a lot less useful than a unit that can do some things but do them really well ;)

Return to “OXI Instruments”