OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by CarlosUnch » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:05 am

SonarBk wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm
Would it be possible to have Ableton Link? I'm thinking about another sequencer that is also launching soon, the T-1 by Torso Electronics, which was able to add Ableton Link when they maxed out their Kickstarter. Oxi One seems ideal to use with an iPad and a modular combo & Ableton Link would be super convenient for working with the iPad side.

Also, I'm excited and will buy one as soon as they launch. Thanks for all the work!!!
No Ableton Link possible. We decided for many reasons to go with Bluetooth instead.

The case scenario you are describing is currently possible, since you can send MIDI to the iPad over Bluetooth, have Oxi One connected to the laptop running Ableton sending MIDI transport (clock) and have all the cv outs to your modular rack, all tightly synced.
We rather have Bluetooth for iOS amazing synths and future Oxi devices ecosystem based on Bluetooth than having Ableton Link, that is a DAW restrictive feature. As nice as it is, an USB cable solves it. Ah, you can also send MIDI Bluetooth to Ableton and have Oxi connected to the iPad with USB, see? not that crucial :hihi:

Also we are thinking on having a mobile companion app that can be connected with Bluetooth to configure global aspects of Oxi One.

Thanks for the support!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by CarlosUnch » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:21 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 am
The monster feature list is looking great. I really hope this makes it to shipping, and that it mostly works- and bugs get fixed in a timely manner. Having been burned by a popular desktop sequencer box recently with showstopper bugs concerning timing accuracy (both live and oddly, on export), I feel a little nervous.

I feel like having a device that works properly should be more important than a laundry list of every feature in the known universe. A unit that can do everything badly is a lot less useful than a unit that can do some things but do them really well ;)
Well, 95% of the features are currently implemented and 90% bug free at the time I'm writing this. It's been in development for two years, we are not rushing things. We are confident with the schedule and having a very solid product ready for the campaign launch on April is realistic.

We agree that reliability is more important, but be sure any of the added features will come as a downside as bug nest.
For now we have surpassed all the challenges we faced on software development. If there's a hurdle we cannot jump, we will rather admit defeat and humbly remove the feature or wait for a proper implementation down the line. But right now we haven't faced anything like that at 95% of features added.

Also I like to remark that despite all the features listed, it does not make the instrument less intuitive to use.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 am

I'm sitting here with popcorn, Carlos, on your mailing list and definitely hoping to be able to see for myself, because we doesn't love fiddling with new sequencers? ;)

(It's not that I dislike cool features of course- just broken features or too much control overloading with secret handshake combos/excessive menu diving can make units stressful to use.)

Presumably it's going to be a bit of a PITA to get hold of in This Septic Isle due to br*xit, but that's our self-harm to worry about. I'd still like to try, if the price comes in at a reasonable level. I wish you nothing but the calmest of seas with this project. The design looks great and your attitude to date is commendable- if it continues after a successful release, this could be a winner.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:05 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 pm
Yes! there's several designs. Here's ours :)

Yes! I only recently got into eurorack myself, and already I’m experiencing a lot of spaghetti to and from my sequencer.

This is what I meant in an earlier post, with every question there’s a magic answer. Just brilliant, I am ready to buy.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 am

(It's not that I dislike cool features of course- just broken features or too much control overloading with secret handshake combos/excessive menu diving can make units stressful to use.)
Thanks for the nice words :D

As much as I think of it, the menu diving is non existent, just a couple of params that needs extra presses but are rarely changed, like CC selection per encoder (it's a long press on an encoder, nothing that secret). We rely on direct access with button presses, maximum you'll have to press two buttons at once and one being SHIFT. In some cases we added two different ways of accessing certain parameters because both are intuitive, so if you try one or another, you'll find yourself where you want to go.

Also we take advantage of having 128 buttons creating dedicated and intuitive layouts to avoid menus, like the cv configuration showed, or the keyboard layout per sequencer mode where you have shortcuts to mutes, solos, track arm in Multitrack and chord selection, voicings, inversions and strums in Chord mode. This empowers the user that cares about performance allowing quick access to even the deepest parameters. It is that nice :D

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am

Here's an updated picture of the I/O.
Yes, the labels are correctly orientated, and it's final.
Cmon, bring it on! 🙂
This week we will receive the hardware to build what we hope it'll be the last iteration, with extra cv outs, battery and dedicated power button.

Cheers!
33defd75-0799-4fc0-b2b3-77fff1d62f57.jpg

Rabban
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rabban » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:13 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am
Cmon, bring it on! 🙂
We're all excited and looking forward to it. How are things looking for the April 1st launch? Will you have lots of units ready to ship?

Thanks!!

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 am

Upside down labels = customer focussed development. :)

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:47 am

I'm fully on board with upside down labels, the amount of times I've just googled images of devices because it was easier than looking behind them upside down!

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 am

CarlosUnch wrote:
Cmon, bring it on! 🙂
Candid question: except for the array of step buttons, what in terms of features and functionalities would make your sequencer "better" than Pyramid ?

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Rabban wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:13 pm

We're all excited and looking forward to it. How are things looking for the April 1st launch? Will you have lots of units ready to ship?

Thanks!!
Thanks! Crowdfunding campaign will launch on April 1st and it will be up for a month unless we reach a ceiling before that.
We will then start manufacturing process of the units. Suppliers are contacted and logistics closed, so it's just making the thing and shipping.
We will have a better shipping ETA by then, specially knowing how shipping around the globe these days goes.

I'm glad you are in with upside down labels. Definitely customer is on the spotlight, since we would be potential customers for the Oxi One ourselves :)

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm

oscilloscope wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 am
CarlosUnch wrote:
Cmon, bring it on! 🙂
Candid question: except for the array of step buttons, what in terms of features and functionalities would make your sequencer "better" than Pyramid ?
We don't like to compare to other gear since there's a lot of good and not so good stuff out there. We tried to address the major issues we've seen in other sequencers and controllers, plus adding ideas that are new to the game. We packed a TON of functionality and expandability is a given, we have exciting ideas for future updates and devices that will add value to it.

I can tell you Oxi One is extremely creative and fast to set sequences going. We not only have step buttons, we have designed almost 10 different layouts for the grid to take the most out of it, so you have smart keyboards depending on the mode you are in, configuration pages using the grid, shortcuts to very powerful actions. All this, still being intuitive, improves performability a lot since you can make bigger changes with less navigation.

We have designed the sequencer with an horizontal workflow, where you move pressing direct action buttons instead of nested menus or too much scrolling.

Oxi One calls you to play on it and being truly the center of your setup, not just set and forget. It's also an amazing tool for complex melodic composition, in reality this was the goal when we were starting two years ago, but it grew much bigger :)

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 am

This sequencer looks amazing. My only gripe would be that I wish CV outputs could be configurable to -5/+5 Volts or 0-10. I would primarily like to use the CV outs for LFOs and modulation, so having the -3V to 5V range is a bit odd range for a lot of modulation destinations other than pitch. I know this can be adjusted with intermediary modules to offset or gain these voltages, but seeing that I would like to fully utilize all 8 CV outs for lfos and modulation, it will be a pain having to make these adjustments for all 8 CV outputs every time I make these connections. That's just a big time suck to manually dial in the offsets/gains for all 8CVs on different module manufacturers, not to mention the extra cables, and also using up the intermediary modules that could be used for other functions. It would be so incredible if one could just have the option for -5/+5/0-10V available and ready to go straight out of the box so one wouldn't have to deal with these adjustments and also free up the time this would take up in order to not slow down creativity. The immediacy of having these options would help tremendously with the workflow if dealing with eurorack, semi-modular and other CV controllable synthesizers (Analog Four, Moog Voyager, etc).

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:19 am

TBH, the -3 to 5V doesn't bother me. I have a small Eurorack and all 3 oscillators are different standards of 0-10. -5 to +5 etc (since there isn't a standard). I have wee 1u attenuverters/offsets to align CV's as I wish. I'd expect most Euro'rs to have similar.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 am

mongrol wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:19 am
TBH, the -3 to 5V doesn't bother me. I have a small Eurorack and all 3 oscillators are different standards of 0-10. -5 to +5 etc (since there isn't a standard). I have wee 1u attenuverters/offsets to align CV's as I wish. I'd expect most Euro'rs to have similar.
But, if your plan is to use the OXI with a 5U system (for example), +/-5 or 0-10 would be much more useful.
I had to modify modules that were ported over from Euro to 5U to change their range to better match the rest of my system.

Yes, various attenuators/range shifters can be employed, but it would kill the flow to have to think about it every time you grabbed a patch cord or alternately, had to buy a bunch more modules to go the range/level shifting for all the cv you wanted to use.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:48 am

mongrol wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:19 am
Yeah, maybe not so bad for a small eurorack. How many people on modular grid say they want to stick to just a few modules though, lol. Do you have enough 1u modules in your system to adjust all 8CV outs if you wanted to use all 8 for LFOs or modulation? Think how much time it will take you to adjust all 8 for one patch. Then after you set those you change your mind and you want to experiment and change a few connections here and there and you have to re-adjust those. Then you decide you want to start a totally new patch with all 8CV outs so you’d have to readjust all 8 again ... then change a few connections again so gotta readjust those, etc., etc. It all begins to add up and can take away from a faster flow.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:56 am

MDurden wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 am
This sequencer looks amazing. My only gripe would be that I wish CV outputs could be configurable to -5/+5 Volts or 0-10. I would primarily like to use the CV outs for LFOs and modulation, so having the -3V to 5V range is a bit odd range for a lot of modulation destinations other than pitch.
It is a bit of a shame, agreed. Feels like a missed opportunity.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:57 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:56 am
MDurden wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 am
This sequencer looks amazing. My only gripe would be that I wish CV outputs could be configurable to -5/+5 Volts or 0-10. I would primarily like to use the CV outs for LFOs and modulation, so having the -3V to 5V range is a bit odd range for a lot of modulation destinations other than pitch.
It is a bit of a shame, agreed. Feels like a missed opportunity.
Agreed - curious to hear from the developers, is this fully set or is it still open to change?

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:33 pm

Hi, regarding the -3 + 5V thing, the -3V it's totally fixed is due to the battery voltage limitations.
Achieving -5V would require more DC DC converters and all the stuff that would increase hardware complexity (and thus costs, certification issues, etc.) even more.
The first prototype had a range from 0 to 10V and we decided having negative voltage was more useful for most of the cases.
We cannot offer -5 + 5V range and we won't go back to the 0 to 10V.
I hope this makes sense :rock:

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:54 pm

manuwind wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:33 pm
Hi, regarding the -3 + 5V thing, the -3V it's totally fixed is due to the battery voltage limitations.
Achieving -5V would require more DC DC converters and all the stuff that would increase hardware complexity (and thus costs, certification issues, etc.) even more.
The first prototype had a range from 0 to 10V and we decided having negative voltage was more useful for most of the cases.
We cannot offer -5 + 5V range and we won't go back to the 0 to 10V.
I hope this makes sense :rock:
Darn, so close to being a 10 out of 10 sequencer. I personally would gladly pay a higher price to have those options. Long sigh :waah:

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:55 pm

The MKII will be a 12 out of 10 sequencer ;)

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:55 pm
The MKII will be a 12 out of 10 sequencer ;)
There’s a MKII being planned already? Is there a release date for a MKII in mind?

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:16 pm

We have ideas for a MKII but... it's just ideas. A lot of things have to happen before we start developing a MKII, like developing other things :D

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:29 am

Happy Sunday everyone!
We have received freshly stamped aluminum cases and custom knobs. Moving step by step to have full production right after the crowdfunding campaign so you won't wait long to get yours.
Cheers!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm

Here's an example of how CC motion recording behaves:

After recording the motion of the CC changes (done in OXI One), pressing the encoder button stops the motion and fixes the last CC value sent.
Turning the encoder again restarts the motion. Turning the encoder further, offsets the range of the motion accordingly. Remember there's up to 32 CC numbers that can be automated at the same time!

This is a powerful way of not only creating movement in any DAW, hardware synth, modular synth or mobile apps, but being able to perform over that motion.

You can also hear Chord Strum in action.

There's no automation recording on the DAW, everything happens in OXI One.
CCtest.mp3
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

Return to “OXI Instruments”