OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by manuwind » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Dear MuffWigglers! My name is Manuel, founder of OXI Instruments.

We want to introduce our first product, the OXI ONE performative sequencer.

This instrument has been created with the principles of ease, power, expressiveness and robustness in mind, getting rid of most drawbacks seen in many existing sequencers in the market. Consequently, all the features of OXI ONE are easily accessible in a blink of an eye.

Don't miss out the creativity and performing features, randomization options, and sequence edition capabilities.

All the info and videos in our website and YouTube channel!
http://www.oxiinstruments.com

We plan to launch our crowdfunding campaign on April 2021. Kickstarter/Indiegogo not yet defined.
MSRP under 600€.
Attachments
CASE 4ENC RENDER_2-min.png
CASE_4ENC_RENDER_CLEAR_2021-Jan-25_12-04-43AM-000_CustomizedView26183638098.png
Last edited by manuwind on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by bmot » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Looks very interesting, I love sequencers so I’m definitely keeping my eye on this one.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by manuwind » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks Bmot :love:
I'm starting spreading the word and I would like to hear your feedback :)
We have time to polish it!

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Definitely interesting... subscribed :tu:

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Awesome! we'll keep posting videos and features updates!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Well, that looks.. interesting. I'm not sure how the poly/chord modes fit together- if you can have polyphony or chords on a single track etc., care to comment, Manuel?

Handsome-looking unit, anyway.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi Katter, thanks for your question.
If I didn't understand you wrong, you have to select one mode or the other.
Chords mode is like a chord assistant with cool features like strum and arpeggiator among others. It allows you to create ideas fast.
Poly mode is on the other hand is a free polyphonic mode where programing chord progressions is more tedious but gives you more flexibility.
Sincerelly all the people who has tried the Oxi One loves chord mode :)
I don't know if this answers your question.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Manuel, I can see that you've carefully thought through many features, I really like it. I can't find any features missing for my relatively simple sequencing goals. I've signed up to your email list. Please update this thread when you have major announcements.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm

wow. impressive. nice feature set and i/o. and it's small!

skulptr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skulptr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 am

Very interesting and I'm still looking for a hands-on and immediate sequencer. Looks like this might be a good fit for me. One question though: is there a specific reason why the CV output range is from -3V to +5V as opposed to the more typical -5V to +5V?

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 am

manuwind wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm
Chords mode is like a chord assistant with cool features like strum and arpeggiator among others. It allows you to create ideas fast.
Poly mode is on the other hand is a free polyphonic mode where programing chord progressions is more tedious but gives you more flexibility.
It doesn't - but that's fine- let me try to be clearer!

Some sequencers let you do chords or poly in a single track- usually to drive poly synths etc. over MIDI. What I am wondering is if I made some chords or a poly part in your sequencer, if it would take up only one track, or need several?

I understand the idea of chord assist modes, my Launchpad 3 Pro does that and it's ace- more people should do that, so nice to see you've made an implementation. It's the playback of the notes I'm thinking about- i.e. can I have one of the eight tracks driving my poly synth, or would I need to devote multiple tracks to it?

Hope that's clearer, sorry if it's a stupid question.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:19 am

Some essential things from my perspective:

Midi filtering on the input, specifying which input channel the device listens to is important, and channel messages needs to be able to be deactivated.

Recording with a midi keyboard over several patterns.

At least four midi CC's per channel.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 am

ignatius wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:49 pm
wow. impressive. nice feature set and i/o. and it's small!
Thank you! :love:
yes it is really compact!

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:07 am

skulptr wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 am
Very interesting and I'm still looking for a hands-on and immediate sequencer. Looks like this might be a good fit for me. One question though: is there a specific reason why the CV output range is from -3V to +5V as opposed to the more typical -5V to +5V?
Thank you for your question!
Since it's battery powered by a single Li-Po cell, and in order to guarantee the cv precission during the all the battery cycle, we decided to narrow the output voltages. I think 8 octaves is still great.
Anyway if this is an important general concern we could review the hardware design :)

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:45 am
manuwind wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm
It doesn't - but that's fine- let me try to be clearer!

Some sequencers let you do chords or poly in a single track- usually to drive poly synths etc. over MIDI. What I am wondering is if I made some chords or a poly part in your sequencer, if it would take up only one track, or need several?

I understand the idea of chord assist modes, my Launchpad 3 Pro does that and it's ace- more people should do that, so nice to see you've made an implementation. It's the playback of the notes I'm thinking about- i.e. can I have one of the eight tracks driving my poly synth, or would I need to devote multiple tracks to it?

Hope that's clearer, sorry if it's a stupid question.
Thanks for the clarification! :)
You can have up to 8 voices/notes per sequence as maximum.
The poly mode behaves as a piano roll where you can input up to 8 notes as you want.
In chords mode you can set one chord per step and every chord can currently have up to 8 voices (It should be enough I think)
In multitrack mode you can use the tracks as you wish, to create a drum pattern, to create a kind of euclidean motif, etc.

I don't know how exactly the Launchpad 3 pro works, but I guess the approach is different. We also have the chord triggering feature implemented in the keyboard mode.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:21 am

acidbob wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:19 am

Midi filtering on the input, specifying which input channel the device listens to is important, and channel messages needs to be able to be deactivated.

Thank you for your feedback!
In the current implementation, every sequence of the Oxi One listens to their configured channel. Recording with a midi keyboard is possible and doing it over several patterns isn't a problem either.

Channel messages can be deactivated but not globally or as an inmediate function. I'll take note of this one!

There will be 4 CCs per sequence appart from the Modulation output.
Last edited by manuwind on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:22 am

Technologear? wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:44 pm
Hi Manuel, I can see that you've carefully thought through many features, I really like it. I can't find any features missing for my relatively simple sequencing goals. I've signed up to your email list. Please update this thread when you have major announcements.
Thank you so much!! :love:

Orange
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Orange » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:00 am

Nice! I like the looks. Yeah, I’m interested :tu:

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am

manuwind wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:21 am
acidbob wrote:

In the current implementation, every sequence of the Oxi One listens to their configured channel. Recording with a midi keyboard is possible and do it over several patterns isn't a problem either.

Channel messages can be deactivated but not globally or as an inmediate function. I'll take note of this one!

Happy to help and hope to check out the product soon :)
Maybe also it would be beneficial to remove clock, or only have clock and no notes or other msg. Being input to the sequencer.
If I come up with other ideas I will let you know.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am

manuwind wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 pm
I like that there’s assignable LFOs per channel, would be nice if they could also be free running and go to suuuuper slooooow to insanely fast. Plus lots of shapes.

Can you confirm CV will support old korg Hz standard as well as usual v/octave

I didn’t see, but is there at least one velocity sensitive pad? Useful for live Programming drums. I also saw there’s modulation and pitch bend, is there a controller for this, or is it only through external input?

Cheers

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:38 am

Orange wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:00 am
Nice! I like the looks. Yeah, I’m interested :tu:
Thanks a lot! :love:

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:42 am

acidbob wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am
manuwind wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:21 am
acidbob wrote:

In the current implementation, every sequence of the Oxi One listens to their configured channel. Recording with a midi keyboard is possible and do it over several patterns isn't a problem either.

Happy to help and hope to check out the product soon :)
Maybe also it would be beneficial to remove clock, or only have clock and no notes or other msg. Being input to the sequencer.
If I come up with other ideas I will let you know.
You can turn off channel MIDI out from the interface itself.
For other more specific configuration parameters, have in mind there will be an appropiate desktop app (usb connection) and a smartphone app (bluetooth connection).
It will be aslo useful for specifics cv outputs configuration.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am

bmot wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am
manuwind wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 pm
I like that there’s assignable LFOs per channel, would be nice if they could also be free running and go to suuuuper slooooow to insanely fast. Plus lots of shapes.

Can you confirm CV will support old korg Hz standard as well as usual v/octave

I didn’t see, but is there at least one velocity sensitive pad? Useful for live Programming drums. I also saw there’s modulation and pitch bend, is there a controller for this, or is it only through external input?

Cheers
I'm sure the modulation implementation will meet all your expectations :wink:

Hz/v Not implemented in the current protos. It will come in future fw updates.

About the sensitive pads, we have been thinking about it quite a lot. More componentes would be involved and hardware would become more expensive. Anywat It could be set as a certain campaing goal feature if a lot of people request it.
On the other hand, editing steps is so fast that you may not probably miss it a lot. Furthermore, you can connect any pad controller or keyboard to Oxi One to record real time.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am

manuwind wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am
The poly mode behaves as a piano roll where you can input up to 8 notes as you want.
Right. so each track is monophonic, we can't have a polyphonic MIDI track, but have to use multiple for that? Thanks for the clarification!

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 am
manuwind wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 am
Right. so each track is monophonic, we can't have a polyphonic MIDI track, but have to use multiple for that? Thanks for the clarification!
No, you can have 4 polyphonic sequences, 4 chord sequences, 4 multitrack sequences or 4 mono or a mix of them. You decide.

Return to “OXI Instruments”