OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by oscilloscope » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 am

CarlosUnch wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:01 pm
oscilloscope wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 am
CarlosUnch wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:09 am
Here's an updated picture of the I/O.
Yes, the labels are correctly orientated, and it's final.
Cmon, bring it on! 🙂
Candid question: except for the array of step buttons, what in terms of features and functionalities would make your sequencer "better" than Pyramid ?
We don't like to compare to other gear since there's a lot of good and not so good stuff out there. We tried to address the major issues we've seen in other sequencers and controllers, plus adding ideas that are new to the game. We packed a TON of functionality and expandability is a given, we have exciting ideas for future updates and devices that will add value to it.
No offense meant here, but if you think that with such verbiage as "We tried to address the major issues we've seen in other sequencers and controllers, plus adding ideas that are new to the game", and keeping people "abreast" of OXI progress as far as getting stamped metal face plates and custom knobs ..., if you think with that you are going to convince people to buy your product, or generate a lasting buzz/interest, you might find yourself cruelly disappointed.

People who buy sequencers are generally quite knowledgeable about sequencers, they have painstakingly and rationally compared the different offerings. They are not like newbies looking for their first synth or drum machine .... And PR things like: "We packed a TON of functionality and expandability is a given", are just not going to cut it until and unless we see detailed specs, and frankly it borders on disrespect.

Maybe, fearing "copycats" you prefer not to disclose precisely the functionalities and features and specs of your product until it is ready and on the market. I can sort of understand that: this type of marketing strategy might satisfy OXI management. However it renders the usefulness and purpose of this whole thread and discussion (to me as a reader/poster, and probably to many others) quite ... let's say, negligible (being polite here ...).

:)

skulptr
Learning to Wiggle

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by skulptr » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:58 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 am
Maybe, fearing "copycats" you prefer not to disclose precisely the functionalities and features and specs of your product until it is ready and on the market.
Have you actually read the previous pages? It's not like they are being secretive about the features and specs of their sequencer. They are also publicly available right here:

https://oxiinstruments.com/product/

If that is not detailed enough, some further Googling would have given you these:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHAdHJ ... I3e7biuXYQ

If that's still not enough then join their Facebook group where features are actively being discussed or ask them here where as far as I can tell specific questions have always been answered so far.

But: since when is a manufacturer supposed to explain to you what makes his product better than that of a competitor? Do you know of any other sequencer manufacturers that explained to you what made their sequencer better than a Pyramid? What does "better" even mean? What you find better, I might find worse and vice versa.

PS: I am actually investigating both Pyramid and One as I'm in the market for a desktop-based sequencer and I find the openness of Oxi regarding their to-be product refreshing. How well it all translates to reality remains to be seen of course but for now the videos and Facebook discussions are adequately informative to me (and apparently also the many others who are actively participating in the FB group).

Which one is "better" is something I don't need a manufacturer to tell me and will decide for myself based upon "painstaking and rational comparison of the different offerings". ;)

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 am

skulptr wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:58 am

Have you actually read the previous pages? It's not like they are being secretive about the features and specs of their sequencer. They are also publicly available right here:

If that's still not enough then join their Facebook group where features are actively being discussed or ask them here where as far as I can tell specific questions have always been answered so far.

But: since when is a manufacturer supposed to explain to you what makes his product better than that of a competitor? Do you know of any other sequencer manufacturers that explained to you what made their sequencer better than a Pyramid? What does "better" even mean? What you find better, I might find worse and vice versa.

Which one is "better" is something I don't need a manufacturer to tell me and will decide for myself based upon "painstaking and rational comparison of the different offerings". ;)
LOL ... But thanks for butting in !

:party:

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:14 pm

oscilloscope wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:32 am
, and frankly it borders on disrespect.
Please do your research properly before making such blunt statements.

Thanks Skulptr for the detailed answer, you are spot on.

It’s unprofessional from a company to do direct comparisons. Wait for reviewers to do them or make your own mental map from all the info posted online, that is far from little at this point. I recommend to visit the thread in Elektronauts, it may give you a better idea of what we do, how we do it and why we are so proud.

Alternatively you can personally ask me any doubt you may have of the Oxi One features.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:13 am

Hi everyone!
Here’s a demo of the Arranger // Song mode.
Let us know what you think.
There’s an easter egg in form of feature, if someone guesses it, we will reveal it :)

born_a_kid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by born_a_kid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am

Arranger mode looks very useful!

What kind of resolution can we expect on the CV outs? And will we be able to do fine adjustments, so we can precisely modulate e.g. the sample start point on an Assimil8or? :hyper:

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:30 am

born_a_kid wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am
What kind of resolution can we expect on the CV outs?
Due to the direct MIDI integration with the CV environment the resolution is the following:

Pitch has 8V/8Oct
Trig Envelopes amplitude (AD) have 5V/127
CCs have 8V/127
LFOs have 8V/255

born_a_kid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by born_a_kid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks! Any possibilities for further smoothing planned/implemented?

And if I understood correctly, steps in the sequencer have fine adjustment, so that timing can be fine-tuned.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 pm

born_a_kid wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:12 pm
Thanks! Any possibilities for further smoothing planned/implemented?

And if I understood correctly, steps in the sequencer have fine adjustment, so that timing can be fine-tuned.
CCs have smoothing, we don't see the need to add it anywhere else for now.
The smoothing is set to exponential, but we plan to add to the desktop app the option to choose which type of smoothing you want to have.

Time offset is 1/32 per step (if I'm not mistaken).
Edit: It's 1/40 per step :)

born_a_kid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by born_a_kid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Nice. Really appreciate the open & fast communication as well.

I’ll be waiting for the early bird tickets. :) Good luck!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Hey, here's a performance plus setup explanation. Enjoy!

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Hey there! Carlos made an awesome video about Chord and Harmonizer modes!
We strive to stay appart from other sequencers and the Harmonizer Mode together with the Chord Mode are some of those features that make the difference. You should check it!

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:34 pm

I've got a feature request, maybe you could tell me if this is planned already, or is something you'd consider.

What I'd like is to have the sequencer increase a value (say a cc value or an amount of voltage being sent) each time the pattern repeats. This would be programmable in any amount. So basically it would increase the value for the duration of 1 pattern loop, hold it at that value, then increase it again at the next repeat and so on. It would look like a step/stairs shape, increasing to a defined high point then either stay there, come down again, or restart.

There must be a name for this, i think i saw it mentioned in a Cirklon discussion once, but so far none of my sequencers have done this.

The advantage of this over an lfo or automation is that it could create long periods of predictable modulation to for just one 16 bar loop, so it would be easier and quicker to programme and have more impact on the arrangement.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:39 pm

manuwind wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Hey there! Carlos made an awesome video about Chord and Harmonizer modes!
We strive to stay appart from other sequencers and the Harmonizer Mode together with the Chord Mode are some of those features that make the difference. You should check it!

Awesome new feature! Looking forward to trying one of these out.

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 pm

It's getting better and better.. the harmonizer feature is great but what has not been mentioned and was in the latest newsletter is the Monome Grid emulation capability !
This comes at the right time for me since I was planning to get a Norns and intended to try to use a Launchpad as a Grid...
bmot wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:34 pm
I've got a feature request, maybe you could tell me if this is planned already, or is something you'd consider.

What I'd like is to have the sequencer increase a value (say a cc value or an amount of voltage being sent) each time the pattern repeats. This would be programmable in any amount. So basically it would increase the value for the duration of 1 pattern loop, hold it at that value, then increase it again at the next repeat and so on. It would look like a step/stairs shape, increasing to a defined high point then either stay there, come down again, or restart.

There must be a name for this, i think i saw it mentioned in a Cirklon discussion once, but so far none of my sequencers have done this.

The advantage of this over an lfo or automation is that it could create long periods of predictable modulation to for just one 16 bar loop, so it would be easier and quicker to programme and have more impact on the arrangement.
It sounds very close to the "MIdIvolve" Max4Live device made by Coldcut,except you can do pretty much any evolution you want, with chance percentage.
I'm mentioning it for the OXI team in case they want to check out how it works.

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 pm

bmot wrote:

Hi! There is no such exact feature but there are available pretty slow lfos: 2bar period!
You can also play with the CC's together with the arranger, every pattern of the arranger can have its own CC's automation! Hope this helps!!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 pm

bmot wrote:
Hey there! Thanks for the suggestion. This is currently doable using the Arranger. Save the pattern with your CC or LFO modulation and add it on an Arranger slot, edit the modulation to be a tad bigger (amount on LFO or range on CC motion recording), save the pattern and add it to the next Arranger slot. You can set the number of repetitions of each Arranger step. Continue to do so to create longer automated envelopes this way. Profit!

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by manuwind » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 pm

koyl wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 pm
It's getting better and better.. the harmonizer feature is great but what has not been mentioned and was in the latest newsletter is the Monome Grid emulation capability !
This comes at the right time for me since I was planning to get a Norns and intended to try to use a Launchpad as a Grid...
bmot wrote:

It sounds very close to the "MIdIvolve" Max4Live device made by Coldcut,except you can do pretty much any evolution you want, with chance percentage.
I'm mentioning it for the OXI team in case they want to check out how it works.
Hi koyl, have you already check our algorithmic randomizer? It can do a lot of usefull stuff.
You can tweak the parameters so it randomly generates patterns to your taste. For exmample it can create short prhases more like to arpeggios or longer phrases and musical ideas. You can control de humanization, the octave range, reordering the melody you already have.
Furthermore we plan to add a trigger to the randomizer from the LFO and possibly other sources!

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks for replying, and really glad to hear what i asked for is possible. The way you described it, it does sound a bit more complicated than just assigning a "step increase value" command on a pattern, like i suggested. However, I'll see for myself soon, will definitely be getting one on release.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm

bmot wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Thanks for replying, and really glad to hear what i asked for is possible. The way you described it, it does sound a bit more complicated than just assigning a "step increase value" command on a pattern, like i suggested. However, I'll see for myself soon, will definitely be getting one on release.
Definitely, is not as straightforward as you suggest. We have been discussing how to get longer automated envelopes (Daw style) than just 2 bars or doing this trick and we are open for your ideas.
I see how this could be implemented, still using the Arranger, but it could bring conflict if you add a different pattern that could have a different set of modulation. What we could do is limit that the modulation increase/decrease could be set to repetitions of the same pattern. I'll write this down and discuss with the team.

Thanks for the support!

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:07 am

The Latronic Notron had that concept of "add or subtract a fixed amount every pass through the loop" thing.

In addition to modulations of values, it was useful to do things like transpose a few note up (or down) each pass.
You could also do things like put a +6 on step 3 and then a -6 on step 12 to just transpose te notes inbetween those steps.

One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at implementing it is that the Notron made it easy to set a range for the increment/decrement (2 octaves, 4 octaves, etc) and the value automatically wrapped around once it reached 127 or 0.

I suggest grabbing the Notron user manual and having a quick read through it for a lot of useful real time features. The manual is small - 60+ pages with pictures.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:28 pm

this plus the keystep pro will make for modular eurorack heaven...really looking forward to seeing how the two can integrate to a super modulating eurorack live preformance

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:31 pm

mongrol wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 am
Upside down labels = customer focussed development. :)
this is kinda a big deal to me....more because of the intent it shows and the care taken

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 pm

comment provided nothing to thread

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Moved to the next page!

Return to “OXI Instruments”