Drone synths

Mostly Modular Flying

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

estin

Post by estin » Wed May 01, 2019 7:29 pm

As much as I love my V1 Grendels, my 2x DC2e setup takes the cake. The sawtooth waveforms and PWM alone = :hail:

rew_
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rew_ » Wed May 01, 2019 9:14 pm

Rost + Licht wrote:Anyone having experience with the Arp 2500 CMS 1004 Oscillator?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unk ... oscillator

I'm very interested in the 'pure' drones ala Radigue, not so much in distorted or overdriven sound.
There's a thread about this.

If you read a few comments down it seems like many of the CMS 2500 line are actually dressed up 2600 modules (the 1047 filter excepted, apparently). Doesn't mean it won't do glassy drones but might not be exactly what you think.

Given that a Venn diagram of modular users and Radigue fans is just one perfect circle I'm really surprised there haven't been more attempts to riff on 2500 modules.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu May 02, 2019 10:45 am

estin wrote:As much as I love my V1 Grendels, my 2x DC2e setup takes the cake. The sawtooth waveforms and PWM alone = :hail:

Is that a custom build from Eric? Can't really tell from that picture, but it looks like it might be in one of his tolex cases. Really nice, either way. :D
| Lake Onondaga || Bandcamp || Spotify |

WTB: Oberheim Prommer o// :heart: \\o

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu May 02, 2019 12:34 pm

my go to drone patch usually starts with creating a feedback loop that is right on the edge of feedback. Meaning with no input it's silent, but give it any kind of input and it will ring for a long time. This is tricky but not impossible. For instance if you do the trick of patching the output of a synth to it's aux input for a raunchy overdriven sound, you may notice that resonance clears it up.
Well the same thing works with pedals or modules.
Once I get that going (or not going) I will try to come up with some cool modulation source to target one of my oscs with. Almost always ends up being the good old Polivoks Osc by Erica synths. Though since I've picked up a JAG and a couple Malekko Wiard Oscs that has been more frequently used.

My goal with every single drone thing is to be as non-periodic as possible, but not atonal. I'll use various switches and clock divders/multipliers to get non repeating patterns happening. Then modulate PWM or other params to keep the interest.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm

estin wrote:As much as I love my V1 Grendels, my 2x DC2e setup takes the cake. The sawtooth waveforms and PWM alone = :hail:

i love this setup. looks great. i have one of the stand alone DC2's but man... this is niiiiice.

estin

Post by estin » Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 pm

rowsbywoof wrote: Is that a custom build from Eric? Can't really tell from that picture, but it looks like it might be in one of his tolex cases. Really nice, either way. :D

Yep, Eric's 70hp case in purple tolex with lid.
chvad wrote: i love this setup. looks great. i have one of the stand alone DC2's but man... this is niiiiice.
Thanks bud!

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri May 03, 2019 12:53 am

estin wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote: Is that a custom build from Eric? Can't really tell from that picture, but it looks like it might be in one of his tolex cases. Really nice, either way. :D

Yep, Eric's 70hp case in purple tolex with lid.
That’s awesome. I too have a single dc2e stand-alone, in sea foam green. That dual setup looks incredible.
| Lake Onondaga || Bandcamp || Spotify |

WTB: Oberheim Prommer o// :heart: \\o

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am

Rost + Licht wrote:I'm very interested in the 'pure' drones ala Radigue, not so much in distorted or overdriven sound.
If we're just talking VCOs for Radigue-y goodness, I've been pleased with the uLFO, AFG, Verbos CO, and AJH MiniMod VCO. I've also enjoyed employing the Mangrove for shifting harmonics between other oscs' sub-bass tones and a filter's cutoff. I much prefer fine tune knobs in the fashion of the AFG for dialing in just the right amount of beating.

I'm very curious to hear the CMS 1004 oscillator, but the lack of individual wave outs (without the expansion module) doesn't do it for me.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Fri May 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Been using Tasty Chips GR-1 for drones a lot lately.

Muzone
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Drone synths

Post by Muzone » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:46 am

I've had some fun lately working with the Whitefly and Tri-pulsar from this place http://www.exagonal-rooms.com/gears.htm
Still have to fully get into them, but there's certainly drones a plenty - hope to get more hands on time over the winter break......

skulptr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skulptr » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Some drone boxes:

Lumanoise: https://lumanoise.blogspot.com/
JMT Synth: https://www.jmtsynth.com/
Michael Rucci: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MichaelRucci (the Maximal Drone in particular)
Orgeldream: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Orgeldream
Time Box Instruments: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TimeBoxInstruments

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Anyone been exploring the Vermoa Perfourmer MkII for drone? If so, what has your experience been like?

I'm becoming more and more tempted the more I imagine the possible configurations, self-patching and such. I've built my drone synth in eurorack, and feel it has its own strengths, however the appeal of something self-contained and having four identical iterations of a voice is drawing me in. I've seen a few YT vids, and they sure didn't help my GAS.

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 am

scuto wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 pm
Anyone been exploring the Vermoa Perfourmer MkII for drone? If so, what has your experience been like?

I'm becoming more and more tempted the more I imagine the possible configurations, self-patching and such. I've built my drone synth in eurorack, and feel it has its own strengths, however the appeal of something self-contained and having four identical iterations of a voice is drawing me in. I've seen a few YT vids, and they sure didn't help my GAS.
Do you mind posting your MG Link. I am always interested in racks for drone

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:17 pm

I have the Grendel Drone Commander, both in Eurorack form and in ammo cans.

My favorite drone modules, however are the MakeNoise Telharmonics (I have two) and the various permutations of the Morphing Terrarium (Cloud Terrarium and Quad Morphing VCO). These are ace for drones.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:49 pm

EASYBOY wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 am
Do you mind posting your MG Link. I am always interested in racks for drone
I'll PM you.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:19 pm

lot's of drone exploration with the Solar 50 and Wing Pinger...with some help from norns:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 am

Hey Wigglers.
I would like to upgrade my Dronerack.
What can you recommend.
Or even better: What am I missing.

This is the status quo at the moment:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1109077

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 am

anybody trie the jmt range? i've got the ld-1 and dnvo ... great stuff. fairly agrassive esp the dnvo. both have filters though. the ld-1 even has a delay ... gonna recify that. adding a tc gauss fx pedal ... to the dnvo.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

metamorphmuses
Wiggling with Experience

Post by metamorphmuses » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 am

scuto wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 pm

{...}
This is months after your question about the Vermona PerFourMer mkII, but here, I just completed a demo of an experiment I've been meaning to try with the Vermona PerFourMer mkII and Singular Sound Aeros Loop Studio. My musical interest in this is dark ambient drone, and exploring DAWless approaches as much as possible.

In this video, to keep the demo simple, I am only building up two of the possible six loop tracks on the Aeros, feeding the first two individual VCOs of the PerFourmer, one at a time through my mixer into the Aeros. Then, in the third part of the video, I bring in the third and fourth VCOs together as accompaniment to the two recorded loop tracks I layered up in the first two parts.

Part I: 0:00-2:40
Part II: 2:41-5:18
Part III: 5:19-7:53

With this technique, my intention would be to build up a six tracks of unsynchronized and unquantized loops from the PerFourMer and play along the six loops with additional freeform accompaniment. Such a composition is forthcoming, but here's the sketch.

Return to “Synth Drone”